Setting up

Christmas was due on the next day

        I could feel the cold atmosphere touch against my skin, leaving goosebumps as a response. I should have worn a thicker jacket.

        The floor that my Boss told me to decorate was almost finish with the help of other people that I'm not familiar with.

        Just a few more hours and everything will be done.

        I rubbed my face out of exhaustion. Another reason to avoid seeing Lois so close to Clark for a second.

        I heard someone's footsteps behind, closer and closer until he stopped beside me. It was my close associate, "Why don't you take a break for a while?" You look really tired right now his eyes said.

        I shook my head, I wanted this to be done already and go home and nuzzle my soft bed under the comforters, "Zach, I can't, besides it's almost finish." I let out a sigh.

        He grabbed my shoulder and squeezed it, his green eyes showing that he was worried, "Alright. Just don't get too hard on yourself. You'll feel a headache soon enough if you do."

        I took his advice and nodded, crossing my arms. It almost looked like I was hugging myself.

        He left with a box of decorations on his side, some of the items still hanging.

        Everybody was working, some on the windows, some on the tables and few on the big Christmas tree. They were loud, laughing everywhere and eating and drinking while doing what they were supposed to do. It was fine with me, but leaving the wrappers around? I don't like it.

        "Ms. Starly!" I spun around to see who yelled my name, "Where should I put these?" I saw the lady who spoke, holding a silvery cloth on her arms.

        I looked everywhere and saw the vacant window with no decorations yet, I pointed, "Over there, just do what the other designed panels looks like."

        She shifted her eyes towards the panel and nodded then she stared at me, "You know, ever since you started working in this building. The decoration seems so lively unlike the others who worked here before you."

        I was flustered, of all those times that I designed and thought of the concept on some occasions, no one ever complimented me. I was mostly ignored, my impression was probably bossy and bitchy. I was nobody.

        But I didn't even know if that was a compliment or just a statement.

        My eyes widened, "Thank you." I stuttered, however, it turned out as a question.

        My cheeks reddened, not knowing if it was the coldness or the blood rushing in.

        She smiled softly, "It was a compliment, Ms. Starly."

        Ah, so it was.

        She started walking to the place I pointed, didn't even had the chance to nod for understanding what she meant.

        I looked around again and noticed some mistakes on the table, the cloth on it was wrinkled and the small paper stars were scattered, not placed in the jar where it was supposed to be.

        I sighed when I observed more, I went over it to fix it. It was just a small error, nothing to be irritated about. I picked the stars and dropped them inside the jar, then I smooth out the wrinkled parts, sliding my palm over it.