twenty one pilots: miranda

today there are plenty of artists who speak against injustice, against discrimination and unfair treatment. from beyoncé to kendrick lamar to halsey, this is evident and is an important part of our slowly but surely evolving society and music industry.

but right now i want to focus on tyler joseph, from twenty one pilots alongside josh dun. because we all know about how utterly astounding their music and lyrics and sound is and how revolutionary they truly are, but neither of them get enough recognition for what they actually say and do, outside of their music as well.

"basically, we are all responsible for the preservation of our personal joy; but happiness is different. joy is not circumstantial, happiness is. you can be depressed and still have joy. you can be suicidal and still have joy. we all stop thinking and we all stop talking and we all stop sharing and we all stop creating, because by doing any of these things we quickly find out how unhappy we are. but that's okay. that's normal. don't let the fear of unhappiness cr*pple your pursuit of finding what it is you believe. since joy is found in belief, we all have to push through unhappiness to find joy. basically."

— tyler joseph

there are countless people in this very moment, including myself, who can say that without tyler or his poetry or music they would not be here, alive and breathing, today.

tyler writes beautiful poetry and is able to put them on a platform and work around them and their conscience so that he is able to connect, to help, to support, to save millions of people worldwide with only one listen to any one song.

"don't give up. push through the drought. channel the inevitable disappointment back into your craft. break molds. think, create, but most importantly, stay alive. and in the meantime, make it about others, that seems to work. stay strong, live on, and power to the local dreamer."

— tyler joseph

he discusses self reliance and care and respect and the importance of valuing one's life and mental health above all else, which is something not commonly seen in many artists or public figures. he breaks the mold, thinks and creates in a way that is completely his own and he is able to channel that into an art form so that he not only helps and supports himself and his own mental health, but along with so many countless others worldwide.

and of course, tyler is never alone in his war. alongside him are all of us, as well as josh dun. they, together, have given so many of us the hope we have lost in various moments in our life to continue on, to keep on fighting even though our limbs are sore and our bodies are tired.

"it's worth it to stay alive. because life is hard in the moment, it's hard to see what can be down the road. you get tunnel vision and think that the current moment is all you have left. but that's not it. there can be more. please let there be more. please stay alive."

— josh dun

they don't sugar coat how they feel or what they say to make it easier for those, who don't understand and cannot connect to the truth and meaning behind this extraordinary band and their art, to swallow. they work against the mental illness stigma to create art that helps all of those who battle ourselves, and our minds they are the reminder that no one's pain or battle is harder than another's, that it's only ever hard. that we all share a hard, and the level of which cannot be compared.

twenty one pilots is a band of hope, of perseverance, of continuation and of life. stay alive.