1.1 The Welcoming (Part 1)

Start from the beginning

The first Lampgirl turned her nose up. "Oh, who asked you, eh? How is that different from discussing the recent death of the Baron Lothier? I can't recall another topic being discussed at suppertime apart from that."

"True, true," the second Lampgirl agreed.

"Carried on," Nell corrected them. "And, again, do keep your voices low."

Those of the Elder Blood did not simply die but they carried on, or faded, or traversed the Wheel. This was one of the first things she was told upon her first day of employment...and Miss Strahl did well not to let her forget it.

"Well...now that we're here," spoke the first Lampgirl. "Do you think nothing suspicious about Lothier Moreigh's, ah, 'fading away' so suddenly?"

"He passed all alone in his bedchamber," answered Nell. "Grief took him, they say. Baroness Nesima was said to have been inconsolable nights afterward."

"A conflicting account, based on what I've heard. I heard he died not from the nightmares, but from the fall he sustained. They always said he was pushed—but that was not enough to kill him."

"Miss Strahl says it's all nonsense," said Nell. "I believe the simplest explanation is often the truth...sadly enough."

"Not in Samarna," laughed the first Lampgirl. "That place is plagued with far too many secrets. In fact, I would think twice before being reassigned there—it's just far too much to take. I myself can't imagine why anyone would want to stay there for long, apart from the pay."

"I'd be practical and save myself enough to return home," said the second Lampgirl. "Which is why I'm still looking forward to that assignment...should it be bestowed to me, of course."

"Hurry up! No dilly-dallying, all of you!" one of the head servants barked as he passed by.

Following them, Nell slipped out through the service door. Young trees, their leaves shimmering with dew, lined a bluestone path that ended at the portico. Underneath the high arches, the Winterway staff formed two orderly lines—one line for the men, another for the women.

She thought of the discussion with the Lampgirls, which set all her speculations astir, but she shook off thinking.

Lord Lothier is dead. There is a new Baron now. The sole living son, who had not stepped foot in Caradhrain for at least ten years.

"Just in time, Nelleth," Miss Strahl, the Head-of-Staff, hissed through her teeth. "Straighten your gloves, right. Is that so hard to do?"

Nell gave her flamecloth gloves each a yank, making sure that they tucked neatly under the cuffs of her sleeves. All this under Miss Strahl's watchful gaze.

The heavy entry doors opened with a shuddering echo. Nell snuck a furtive glance through the doorway, to catch a glimpse of the family.

As expected, there was the Dowager Baroness, first to arrive. That day, Nesima Balmere wore a fitted dress of burgundy velvet. Her russet hair in plaits, held in place with a wolf's-head pin. Her neck was drawn, her head held high. The older servants (those who knew the original Baroness of Samarna) often mocked her behind closed doors. By her side of course, was Yrian, and his sister Creseia.

"Look at that," someone spoke from behind the rows. "How haughty she is—even knowing she'll be out of his household sooner than the next Copper Moon arrives."

"Heard she squandered a sum of seventy Imperial khas for her daughter's dress," answered another voice. "And only for her society debut. Only."

"I can't say I'd disagree if you told me Lady Creseia put her up to it. But what good can come from spoiling such a child? I'm not speaking of the Lady Nesima alone—the late Baron had a hand in it too."