New Discoveries

The room was so incredibly still, it was as if the dust particles were frozen in time. I didn't dare breath or move an inch.

Please think you're imagining this, I thought rapidly. Please, please, please-

"How on Earth did you do that?" said the personification of sharp perfection as he pushed up his glasses and leaned forward.

I swallowed.

"Uhh..." I finally squeaked out, "magic...?"

He stood and began to walk towards me before I could even comprehend it or step backwards. With his height and sharp, analysing gaze, I felt so intimidated. The tension was thick and the silence was agonising.

"I consider myself to have quite the imagination, but you are far too detailed to be a dream. The fact is, many conclusions I draw are quite...impossible."

I could imagine they would be. 

"What is your name?"

"Sang," I replied, unable to stop myself. My answer was drawn out by the look in his eyes.

"Sang," he repeated, testing the name on his tongue. His lips then curved into a millimetre smile that made my knees knock."Is it possible that you are a-"

"Mr B!!" A voice suddenly followed the bang of a door hitting a wall. "You're not going to believe this - I don't think I fully believe it - but we think we met a gho- oh hi again!"

I could only manage a tense smile and a frigid half wave of my hand as I turned to meet the gazes of two boys from home room that I had ran away from moments ago. Luke smiled excitedly while North maintained his look of disbelief he wore at homeroom. They closed the door and came further into the room, standing a few steps beside me.

The desire to escape again was building. But the relief and exhilaration of taking to people after so long was immense. Seeing Luke smile at me, feeling North's unrelenting gaze on me and answering questions to the man named Mr B's gave me a feeling of existence that was so unfamiliar and yet, I wanted more.

Mr B closed his eyes, pinching the bridge of his nose. He then stood up straight. "My apologies, Miss...Sang, I seem to have forgotten my manners. My name is Owen Blackbourne. And I assume you've met both North and Luke Taylor" he introduced. They were brothers? They didn't look alike. "Could you possibly answer a few questions?"

I nodded, charmed by his politeness.

"Miss Sang, are you a ghost?" Mr Blackbourne asked

"I believe so," I answered truthfully

"How long have you been a ghost for?"

"For a few weeks, give or take."

"If it's not too difficult to say, could you tell us how did you come to be a ghost?"

I scrunched my nose and frowned, unable to mask my frustration, "I cannot really say... I don't remember much of what happened before I-"

"Can you touch us or will you go right through us like you did with those people out in the hall?"

A surprised giggle escaped me from both the randomness of Luke's sudden question and the glares he received from his brother and Mr Blackbourne. The two other occupants of the room, however, allowed Luke to lighten the seriousness of the conversation and lead it down a different path without a word. He grinned widely at my reaction.

"Well, I have never been able to touch anyone for these past weeks, so I don't think so," I replied, shrugging to try and seem indifferent.

"Can we try it?" He asked holding up a hand, his eyes sparkling with curiosity.

A finger slowly moved towards my lip. Don't get your hopes up, I reminded myself, just because you can talk to them and they can see you doesn't mean everything is possible...

But as I raised my own hand and met with the firmness of his warm, warm hand, I began to shake and tears blurred my vision. I ripped my hand from his and started to retreat backwards. Another mix of emotions threatened to overwhelm me, telling me to run.

"Don't leave," North spoke for the first time since entering the room. I stopped moving, my hand covering my mouth to contain the sobs that were ready to burst. "I know it's scary. This is unknown territory. It is confusing for all of us, but we're learning together."

"He is correct, Miss Sang," agreed Mr Blackbourne. "You do not have to deal with this on your own anymore."

"I haven't...I can't..remember the last time I..." I struggled to explain, my eyes darting from each person before stopping at Luke. "It was so warm."

I doubted they knew what I meant. I doubted the could fully understand the extent of what I was feeling. I had not felt anything for so long. Constant emptiness. Constant loneliness. I have been lost and scared and confused for so long - it was all I had ever known.

But Luke stood there with his hand in the open, waiting. North waited for me, reassured me it was ok. Mr Blackbourne encouraged me.

Trust us, he seemed to say.

And so, with my hand encased yet again in the warmth that Luke's hand offered...

I did.

xXxXx

Ooooh~~ I hope you liked this update! It was a little short, I know...But I hope when I get further into the chapters, the updates will be longer.

Happy New Year by the way!! :D