A Slice of Normality

After apologising for my weirdness to a doctor who didn't want to hear a word of it and apologised himself, Dr Sean promised to see me at the "meeting" in the evening. Then Nathan, Kota, North and I began to walk to the car park. North held my hand tightly as if he was terrified I would run again. I didn't mind at all. There was something about his strong grip and warm musk that grounded me.

When we got to the cars, North explained that he had to stop by his Uncle's diner before going to Kota's place. After we watched him hop on his motor bike and ride off, Kota encouraged me to sit up the front. I declined since I was shorter than Nathan who probably needed the leg space. Nathan also refused the front seat, saying that he'd much rather spend the drive in the back seat with a pretty girl. This rendered me speechless for a few moments.

The drive was filled with bantering, laughter and music, but I couldn't turn my head from the window. We drove through new neighbourhoods - places I had not had the courage to walk to. The houses were different to the ones around the school. I couldn't help but imagine what the indoor layout of the places was like - a habit I picked up from wondering down streets on my own for so long.

I sighed as I thought back to what had happened in the office. Dr Sean, thankfully, didn't push me to go to the hospital. He didn't push me to tell me what had happened. He only told me that they wouldn't be able to help me if I kept it all inside.

I wanted to tell them. I would tell them. But we had all only met today. Meeting them was the most wonderful, most confusing and the most painful thing to happen in my existence as a ghost. Trust wasn't something that came easy to me. Guilt and the need to be approved did. Maybe those habits and feelings were from my old life.

It must have been incredibly sad.

"Sang, what about this one?" Nathan said  poking at my arm. He continued to play the air guitar lifting his arms up high as the guitar rift played on the radio. Laughter burst out of me at the scene and Kota's expression- a mix of disbelief and amusement.

"Sit down, Nathan, you're going to get us pulled over."

"We are just two blocks away. It's fine," Nathan huffed, rolling his eyes at his friend. "And we haven't even seen Sang rock the air guitar yet."

Did I hear that right? "Me?"

"It's tradition. All back seat riders must jam to the radio on the air guitar at lease once throughout a trip," Nathan announced officially in a posh sounding accent, "It has been a rule for centuries."

"Now I know it's not a real rule," I giggled. Nathan's teasing grin caused me heart to jump with its warmth.

"Well it's a rule that will have to be exempted for today," Kota said pulling into a drive way of a two story house, "Since we're here already."

"But don't start thinking you've gotten out of it, Peanut," Nathan said as he opened the car door on his side, "you'll be having two rounds of guitar playing next car trip."

I hadn't noticed that Kota was out of the car before he until he was opening my car door for me. He smiled kindly at me when I thanked him. It was very sweet of him, even though it was a little unnessesary.

Standing outside, I could see the whole ranch styled house very clearly. It was two story, with a room above the garage that looked recently built in. The boys began to walk towards the garage after locking up the car and so I quickly followed.

Kota was explaining how is mum was at work when a big golden animal flung itself onto me, causing me to fall back on the floor awkwardly on my hip and right fore arm. The dog gave me a big lick and was obviously excited meeting someone new.