10.

August

I pulled into the familiar apartment complex and parked the car. I checked my surroundings to make sure that I wasn't followed by the police. I got out the car and walked up the stairs until I reached the apartment. I knocked on the door quickly and heard the door unlock. Patience opened the door with a bat in her hand and a mean mug. Her face softened when she saw me standin' there.

"Babe, what's going on?" She asked me, steppin' aside so I could come inside.

I sighed as I closed and locked her door. "What I'm about to tell you is some heavy shit aight? I need you to stay calm when I tell you this."

She nods her head as she sits down on the couch. I sit down next to her and look her in her eyes. "Baybeh, Mel and I were doin' a drop right after I got off the phone with you." I started, "and I had a bad feelin' about doin' that drop and I didn't figure out why until Mel handed the products over to the people. We found out that they were undacover cops. Mel shot both of em in the knee when he found out and told me to run so I did." I tell her covering my face. "I didn't want to leave him, but he wanted to keep me out of trouble."

I look up and see Patience staring at me with an unreadable expression. "Say somethin' love."

She sighs. "First off, I want to ask you are you okay?"

I shrug my shoulders. "I don't know how to answer that Pae to be honest. I have no idea what happened to Mel after I ran, but I know that it can't be good."

"You gotta have faith in God that he will be okay babe."

I chuckled to myself because she sounded just like my mama. "You're right baybeh. Will you pray with me?" I asked her.

She nodded her head and grabbed both of my hands, we both bowed our heads. "Lord, I come to you today praying that August's brother, Melvin, is alright. Keep August and Melvin covered help them get close to you in their time of need and let them know that whatever happens, you make no mistakes. In Jesus' name we pray, Amen."

"Amen." I open my eyes and stare at Pae. As soon as she finished the prayer, I immediately started to feel a little better. Instead of panickin', I should have been talkin' to God in the first place. "Thank you baybeh."

She looks at me confused, "For what?"

"For actually takin' the time out to pray for me."

Patience smiles at me. "You don't have to thank me for what I'm supposed to do babe. But now that I know you're okay I just have to ask you.... have you lost your everlasting mind August?!" She asked me, gettin' up from the couch and puttin' her hand on her hip.

I'm taken back by her sudden mood change.

"Answer me August! Have you lost your everlasting mind?" She asked me again.

I clear my throat before answering her. "Baybeh, I didn't shoot the police."

"That's not what I asked you, I asked you have you lost your mind which is equivalent to what in the hell were you thinking?" She whisper-yelled.

I sighed as I pulled her into my lap. She flinched a lil bit and then laid her head on my chest. "To be honest, I didn't want to be out there in the first place ma. Mel said it was gonna be good money and he would give me half if I came with him."

"Well do you see what happens when you're doing things you're not supposed to be doing?"

I chuckle because she really does sound like my momma. I'm glad because if she didn't snap on me, then that means that she didn't care about me and that woulda been a whole 'nother issue in its own. "Yes mama Pae." I kiss her on her forehead.