Chapter 11 - I Think I Win

Start from the beginning

Leah eyed him curiously. She was beginning to realise that Jared drew energy from a different source than most people. He shone in conflict, took joy from confrontation. Maybe her actions around him had been too careful lately. What if all she needed to distract him was a bit of anger?

"Screw you," Leah spat. "As soon as I get out of here, I'm going to hunt you down and lock you up to see how you like it."

Jared's eyes flashed and Leah knew her idea was somewhat working.

"I'd like to see you try," Jared smirked, "but you're a bit of a weakling."

Leah blinked. "I'm not weak."

Jared shrugged and lent back again, eyes raking over her. "Maybe not compared to other people, but we both know you couldn't land a punch me."

The certainty in his voice made something dark rise in her throat. "I could if I tried."

"Fine," Jared said, uncurling from his seat so he towered above her. "Punch me."

"What?"

"Stand up and punch me."

Leah stayed still, waiting for him to say he was joking. Instead she watched as his Adam's apple worked up and down his throat. It was strangely reassuring; sometimes Jared didn't seem entirely human.

She slid off the bed and stood, regarding him carefully. He rested on the balls of his feet, hands hanging loose by his side.

Just as impatience swallowed the edges of his eyes, she exploded, launching forward, arm swinging back. Her fist was millimetres from his face when he moved. Fast. She didn't see him dart behind her, but when she turned he was there, smirking.

"Told you," he said.

Without thinking, she lunged, but once again he disappeared. Just as he started laughing she changed tactic and went for the rugby tackle. The air rushed out of him as she slammed into his stomach, hurling him back into the wall. Her fist swung, but he grabbed her wrists and spun them around, pushing her back against the wall and holding her there.

Jared chuckled and Leah glared up at him. His chest rose quickly, his hair tousled and grazing dark eyelashes. He brought his face down to hers and smirked. "I think I win."

Leah became suddenly conscious of their breath mingling together, bodies pressed tight. This was probably the best chance she'd ever get.

Impulsively, she leaned forward and brought her lips to his, catching him off guard. She felt him inhale, his body tensed, and then he pulled back, staring down at her with unreadable eyes. Everything became very quiet, shallowing into silence.

"What was that?" Jared asked, voice rough.

Leah cleared her throat and glanced away, wishing he would let her go and move back. Her cheeks betrayed her as they flared.

"Um, nothing. Don't worry about it."

His gaze stayed on her face as she pointedly avoided eye contact.

She almost sighed in relief when his hands let go of her wrists. She looked up, expecting him to leave the room, but instead he stood there, staring at her with a look that distorted the silence into something dangerous. Something weighted.

"Why did you do that?"

Leah shrugged only to realise the movement pressed their chests closer together. "Because I wanted to."

He still didn't move.

"Look," Leah said, fidgeting uncomfortably. "I get it. You can go, its..."

Her voice faded when he moved closer, hands coming to rest against the wall on either side of her head, caging her in.

"Messing around with me isn't going to get you out of here," Jared said.

The words sent a breath of mint across her cheeks.

Leah's voice caught. "I know."

"Good."

And before she could respond, he lowered his lips to hers. As soon as they connected, a powerful ache flared in Leah's chest. Jared's lips were unexpectedly soft, and his hands slipped down and twined around her waist, pressing his body closer and pushing her into the wall. A small gasp escaped Leah's mouth and she wound her hands into his hair.

For a moment, she let it happen. She let his lips press against hers, let the heat spread from every point he touched. It was empowering and consuming and delicious and... wrong.

She pulled away so fast she slammed into the wall, scraping against its uneven surface. Before Jared could process what was happening, she smashed her fist into his face and his head cracked backwards. Leah froze as he collapsed on the floor, waiting for him to get up and hit her back. Only he didn't. Her eyes widened as he stayed still; small, shallow breaths pushing his chest up and down.

She'd done it. She'd knocked him out.

Her whole body was vibrating, and she slid down the wall, holding herself together against the quakes. Her heart was pounding erratically, breathing hysteric, sobs running marathons up her throat. This was not how she was meant to feel. She was meant to be happy.

She glanced up again, staring at Jared's still body.

"I think I win."  

...  

Dayymmmnnn, Leah savage :P

Do we all think Jared got what was coming though?

Remember to vote if you liked the chapter! Let me know what you think :)

Lots of love,

- Skylar xx