Chapter 5- Roses and A Dress

Start from the beginning

Adjusting his cap, he said playfully, "So you better keep it ready" he winked at me as he exited the shop and took off on his bicycle.

Jim sure was a funny character. I smiled as I waved at him.

I glanced at the flowers sitting in the vase and let out a long breath.

What's going on in that head of yours Luca Moretti?

The walk home was quick as usual. I entered the house and headed to the kitchen to prepare dinner.

It was half past six which meant dad would be home in another half hour. I proceeded to make dinner. I had just started with the dinner preparations when the doorbell rang. Quickly wiping off my hands, I made my way to the front door and opened it.

In front of me stood a man who was taller than the door frame by more than five inches. He was wearing a suit and black shades and some kind of earpiece. Just by looking at him I instantly knew he was one of Luca's employees.

"How may I help you...?" I asked him a bit uncertainly.

"I am Thomas, Ms. Richardson and I work for Mr. Moretti. He asked me to deliver something to you." He held up a bag in front of me. "This is for you Miss. Richardson. From Mr. Moretti."

I stared at the shopping bag for a long time.

What the hell was inside it? Was it a bomb? Did Luca want to kill me?

I was still staring at it when Thomas cleared his throat and said, "Miss. Richardson, the bag..." shaking it a little in his hands.

I flinched when he shook the bag and I quickly jumped inside and hid half my body behind the door. "What are you doing? Why are you shaking that thing? What if it explodes?"

Sensing my fear he said, "Don't worry it's not an explosive." A hint of a smile was playing on his lips.

Was he finding this amusing? I narrowed my eyes at him and stepped out from behind the door.

Crossing my arms over my chest I said, "I don't know if I should take it..."

"You should take it. Believe me. You don't want to anger someone like Mr. Moretti." Thrusting the bag into my hands he continued, "Well my work here is done. Ciao."

Before I could get a word out of my mouth, he had already gotten into his car and had driven off.

"If this is an explosive and I die then I'm going to haunt you Luca." I mumbled to myself as I shut the door and went inside. I placed the bag carefully on the coffee table and scrutinized it from afar.

What the hell? Do I have to open this?

I peeked inside and saw a black box. "It sure does look like an explosive..." scrunching up my nose I carefully pulled out the box out of the bag. It didn't seem so heavy.

"Okay..." I let out a long breath. "Here goes nothing" I said and I opened the box with narrowed eyes.

But when I opened it, I saw the most beautiful thing in front of me which made my eyes widen.

As I set the lid aside and lifted up the fabric, I couldn't stop the gasp that escaped my mouth. It was a full length white silk gown adorned with a silver border at the sleeves.

It had a very high slit and the neckline was pretty deep too ending almost at the waistline. I gently glided my hand the delicate fabric and let out an audible sigh.

The dress really was very pretty.

As I set down the dress something inside the box caught my eye. It was a black envelope with my name embossed on it in silver ink.

I opened the envelope and found a small card inside which had a handwritten message.

Dear Chloe,

Hope you liked the gift. I expect you to wear it on Friday.

Can't wait to see you.

-L.M.

What the hell? He expects me to wear this?

Of course he does. Why else would he have send it to me then?

Although the dress was very beautiful it was a bit too revealing and I wasn't sure if I was going to wear it.

I read the short message again. "Why are you doing this Luca Moretti? First the flowers, now this dress. What do you want from me?" I whispered as I traced his initials on the card.

I heard the front door open and the all too familiar voice call out to me, "Chloe, I'm home."

I smiled as I got up to greet him but I stilled, my eyes widening in horror and my hand flying to cover my mouth as I realized something.

Oh God! I completely forgot about dinner!

______________________________________________________________________________________

VOTE & COMMENT