Fighting the Grievers

The whole pack charged forward to meet the Grievers. Thomas grabbed Casey's hand as the sped ahead. Out of the corner of her eye, Casey saw Chuck stumble and try to pick himself up, his eyes full of fright. She remembered the promise that she made so long ago and ran pack to grab his hand.

"Chuck, you are coming with us." They ran to catch up to Thomas and Teresa and kept running. Thomas and Casey did not join hands.

The Gladers were staring to make a passageway for them to run through. Casey matched Thomas' pace as they picked up speed. As they ran through the wall of Gladers and Grievers, Casey ran around the other side of Chuck, so that she blocked him from the fighting. She pushed him close to Thomas and kept running. They were a couple of hundred metres from the Cliff when Casey leg was deeply cut by a Griever. She fell and looked at the damage. She screamed in pain as the cut in her shin touched the ground.

She felt two hands pulling her up. Chuck.

"Go Chuck. I'm fine." She tried to push him towards the Cliff.

"I'm not leaving you." He slung her arm around his shoulder and lifted her to her feet. Resting all her weight on him, she began to limp fast as they tried to catch up with the others. They reached the others at the edge of the Cliff. Thomas ran up to help Casey and relieve Chuck. He held Casey and she transferred her weight onto him. They reached the Cliff face. Still holding Casey, Thomas instructed Teresa to jump first. Casey watched as Teresa disappeared.

"Casey, you next." Thomas let go of her.

"I'm not leaving you two." Casey did not jump.

"Go!" Thomas yelled.

Casey jumped.