Chapter 17 - Neutral Acquaintances

Greg

"You must stop sulking Gregory." My mother somehow managed to frown and smile gently at the same time. How is it that all mothers seem to have the inexplicable ability to read your mind? Wasn't I the telepath?

We trekked back to the house since Ryan never came back for us, the bastard.

Jack, my father and Emily joined us after a few minutes. My mom must've texted them that I found Cassie. Jack gave me a sideways smirk and transformed. He managed it so effortlessly that I scarcely believed that he had been a person just a few moments ago. The only evidence that he had been there was a pile of clothes that fell off as his body shrunk down and he shook them off. He bolted off without a word and my father cursed under his breath.

"Calm down, he's just going to check on Cassie." My mother placed a hand on my father's arm. Again, with the mind reading... How would she know what he was doing?

My father caught my eye. She does it to me as well, so don't feel too bad about it. Katherine Castle has the most extraordinary emotional intelligence and intuition.

I could scarcely believe it. My father was attempting to have a heart to heart with me. That must be it.

One of many reasons I love her, and it is the first thing I loved about her. I think without her special way of looking at things that I never would have accepted my own abilities.

I-

Listen son, when someone as special as Katherine enters your life, you mustn't waste the opportunity. You must fight and you must win. Because if you lose, than every other victory will be hollow.

You aren't talking about mom anymore.

I'm not.

Cassie's not like mom though.

No, she isn't. She is a completely different sort of special, but if you continue to look at Jack as competition and Cassie as some sort of first place prize, you will only continue to make an ass of yourself.

"I have mentioned that private mental conversations are quite rude when another party is present, have I not?" My mom said evenly.

I raked my hand through my hair and mumbled an apology.

"I'm not running after dog-boy." Emily declared.

"I'll do it." I said and jogged off, back towards home.

It took me ten or fifteen minutes to make it back to the house. I saw Jack and Cassie through the French doors leading into the kitchen. Ryan was still there, and for that I was grateful. It meant that there was no way Jack had been able to get Cassie alone.

I knew my father was right. I couldn't treat Cassie like a medal, but the sight of him placing his hand on her arm... And was he wearing my clothes?

I stormed inside, all pretense of civility left in my wake. "No one gave you permission to take my things!"

Cassie glared at me. "And you need to sort your shit out or leave me the fuck alone!"

She turned on her heel and Ryan covered his mouth stifling a laugh.

"Shut up," Jack and I said in unison. We looked at each other and scowled.

Ryan shook his head. "You two are hopeless. She's a person, not a slab of steak."

"And what do you know about girls? You can't even tell Grace that you like her!" Ryan's eyes narrowed and I knew I had crossed the line. He had sworn me to secrecy and now a stranger knew his secret. Given that I was yelling, Cassie had probably heard me too as she was walking away. "Oh, dude, I didn't mean-"

"You know what Greg, Cassie's right." He disappeared, leaving nothing to indicate he'd ever even been there.

I slumped over on a nearby stool and I felt Jack's eyes on me. "Whatever you have to say, say it."

"Look, I know I messed up, but I have nothing. I know you probably don't care, but I lost my parents and my best friend. Everything I did was to keep my family safe and I couldn't even do that. What's worse, is that when Cassie needed me the most, I let her down in the worst way imaginable. I've probably lost Cassie forever, but I won't stop trying. I don't think you should give up on your friend either. It's the worst feeling in the world when someone you loves starts hating you."

He turned around and started making his way to the bare bones room that we'd been cooping him up in.

"Hey wait," I said, standing. "Since you're staying here, let's at least get you set up in one of the proper guest rooms."

I led him up the stairs and to a room two doors down from mine. It had a queen bed and all the other appropriate furniture and I told him about the bathroom across the hall. I left and went into my room and went digging at the back of my closet. I found a dozen shirts, and pants that were a size too small and shoes I didn't wear any more. I took them to his room and dumped them on the bed.

"We can go shopping tomorrow if you don't like this stuff." I went to leave.

"Hey Greg?"

"Yea?"

"Thank you." A slight smile spread across his face. "I'm sorry I took your clothes too."

"It's nothing. I overreacted. Everyone's right. I've been acting like an ass lately. If I don't do anything about it, I'll only hurt myself in the long run." I paused, "Just... let's both try to not really lose our best friends."

"Maybe we can help each other?" Jack offered.

"Yea, maybe." 

He held his hand out and I paused, but only slightly, before taking it. I guess neutral acquaintances was better than active enemies. With any luck, maybe just maybe we could both come out ahead of our own stupidity.