Chapter 16 - I Shouldn't Say Anything...

Cassie

I had no idea where I was going. I just knew I had to leave. Amy was beautiful and kind, how could I compete with that? Worse yet, why had Greg done all those things, given me so much attention if he already had a girlfriend. It was disgusting and even worse, he had lied. He had been lying from the start.

I went out the back door and ran across the massive back lawn. I finally made it to a copse with a small river running through it. There was a huge oak tree overlooking the edge of a cliff and the river fell over the side and gathered in a pond. It didn't look like a hard climb, so I quickly surveyed the area. It took a few attempts, but I managed to make my way down.

Once at the bottom, I sat on a stone and removed my shoes. I dipped my feet in the water and the tears came, silently.

I shivered as a chill wind crept up my spine. I looked up. It was dark already.

How had I failed to notice that?

I looked down into the pond to see my reflection just barely visible in the darkness, but there was something slightly off about it. I touched my hair and the reflection just smiled back at me. I shrieked and fell back. I felt a sharp pain at the back of my head before I saw nothing.

Ahh.... This is better.

I smiled to myself relieved to see the darkness again. The nothing was my constant companion and seeing the world again for what it really was had ruined that. I actually missed being blind.

How stupid is that?

I laughed, realizing the ridiculousness of the sentiment and opened my eyes.

I was in a room, not in that small secluded little wooded area. I could tell it was a room because though it was dark, I could see the creases where the walls met ceiling and floor. I was sitting in a chair. Not a particularly comfortable one either. I stood and gingerly walked to one of the walls. I ran my hands over it and worked my way around to find a door. Voices whispered on the other side. I opened the door to see-

"Cassie?" I felt the palm of someone's hand against my jaw and cheek. "I need you to wake up Cassie."

I frowned as my eyes fluttered open to see Greg. "Go away."

"No, don't be stubborn. You hit your head and I've called mom to come and make sure you're okay."

"I'm fine!" I pushed his hand away, "I don't need your help and you need to stop touching me."

"You heard her Gregory. If she doesn't wish to be touched, you must respect her wishes." Katherine said as she came into view. Greg stood up and backed away. "Cassie dear, I need you to lie very still, while I check you, all right?"

"Yes," I almost nodded and decided against it. She had said to be still.

She asked me several questions about how I was feeling and other than losing consciousness, she said I would be fine. She had me sit up and I saw that I was still at the bottom of that cliff near the pond. My shoes were off to the side and the moon was high. Ryan was standing by Greg and both boys were looking worried. Katherine stood and beckoned Ryan over. He held out his hand to me. I took it and as I blinked, the wood was suddenly the kitchen of the Castle home.

I felt a wave of nausea over take me and I rushed to the sink to vomit.

"Oh sorry, I should've warned you about that. Your insides aren't exactly used to being pushed through a rip in space."

I rinsed my mouth out and gave him the driest look I could manage under the circumstances. "Rip in space?"

"Yea, that's how I teleport. There are lots of ways to do it, but personally I see these little tears in the air around me. I can interact with them and poof, appear somewhere different. Usually traveling far is a pain, but I've established an anchor here. Makes it easier to travel long distances. If I'm ever in trouble, this is the rip I come back to."

"That's pretty cool."

"Yea, Katherine keeps saying I can do more than just jump in and out of these rips. She wants me to experiment with it. Anyways, I'm going home."

"What about the others?"

"They can walk. It'll give you time to pretend to be asleep or whatever."

"What?"

"So you don't have to deal with Greg." He shrugged. "Amy told Grace that she told you about them. I figured with how head over heels Greg is for you that he wouldn't have said anything about her."

"He could have just said he had a girlfriend and not kissed me."

"Listen, I really shouldn't say anything, but Greg is my friend, probably my best friend, so you should know that he and Amy aren't dating. I mean, not really. They hook up, relatively frequently, and when one of them sees someone else, they part ways. It's pretty messed up, but I think they're both just desperate for attention. Neither of them would know a worthwhile relationship if it ran up and bit them in the ass."

"So why would Amy lie about it?"

"Because she just got dumped by a college guy and all she's heard from Grace and Mika and Emily and the rest is how infatuated he is with you. Not to mention, you're smokin' hot."

"I'm-"

"I'm not hitting on you. I mean, I like someone else."

"Ryan, I-"

"Listen; just give Greg half a chance okay? I get that he's a little bit of a whore, but when you get past that, he's a good guy. I really don't think he's interested in Amy anymore."

"Ryan?"

"Yea?"

"You sure do talk a lot for someone who "really shouldn't say anything". Did you know that?" I laughed.

-

Author's Note- Sorry for the long gap in updates guys. Life has sorta been kicking me around lately. I'm going to try and get back on track though!

Vote, Comment and Share!