Chapter 3 - Stairs Are Your Kryptonite

Cassie

The bus ride was about two hours long. After the first ten minutes or so, Greg slumped down in his seat. I think he must've been sick of the attention he kept getting, but it was a poor defence. Every few minutes, he was asked about some aspect of his life.

Where was he from? "Little town in California called Blackburn Bay."

What's his family like? "Mom and dad, both doctors. Nothing special."

Does he play sports? "Yes."

Does he have a girlfriend? "I've never really done the dating thing."

After that last one, he said he hadn't gotten much sleep last night and just wanted to chill. Moments later, I heard music so he must've put earphones in. I heard the other kids shuffling around so they seemed to have gotten the message.

I felt something small in my hand. I could feel it pulse. It was mostly smooth, with a cord. Oh! It must be one of his ear buds. He wants to listen to music with me?

I tried not to blush, but felt the heat rise to my cheeks as I slipped the ear bud in. It wasn't too loud, thank goodness. I have very sensitive hearing. I didn't really like the song though. It was one of those boring, super slow, love songs, but I didn't say anything. Honestly, it was nice to just share an experience with someone who was non-canine.

A moment later, he switched it. It was more upbeat, but darker at the same time. Something about a girl who can't cope with reality, so she goes out partying. I don't know who it is, but I loved it almost instantly.

But I'm holding on for dear life,

Won't look down won't open my eyes

Keep my glass full until morning light,

'Cos I'm just holding on for tonight

I never really listen to music anymore. Usually it hurts too much. All the memories of blasting the radio in my room, dancing like an idiot with Lauren and Megan. We were like the Three Musketeers back then. Now, Ashley Myers, resident party princess, has filled that role.

Know what I miss most about music? Dancing to it. I tried to dance about a month after it happened. I ended up face-planting into the mirrored wall. I dropped out of the studio completely after that and haven't tried since.

For now though, I decided to just enjoy it. I knew Jack would keep an eye out. He'd already expressed his disapproval at sitting next to Greg and had left it at that. Jack seemed to think there was something 'not quite right' about him, but I think it's his protective instinct kicking in.

So we just listened to music. Every time I didn't like something, he would switch the song. It was uncanny. Maybe we both had the exact same taste?

I eventually felt the bus slow and there was more movement than usual. We must be there already.

Welcome to Banks Falls, named after David Banks' great-great (etc etc) grandfather who "discovered" a waterfall back in the very early 1800's. The family built a homestead, panned for gold, and struck it rich. They moved off the mountain and settled in the town in the valley. They spent the next two hundred years buying up as much property in the county as they could and voila, now David's father is Mayor Banks (and has run unopposed for over 10 years).

When David was in his freshman year, they built up the old homestead into a mountain resort/spa retreat and every summer the high school kids all get three weeks in the mountains mostly cost free. The school still pays for the bus and food, but it's run by parents and volunteers. And we're expected to keep the place clean ourselves. Not a bad trade off really.