Chapter 14 - The Deadly Trio

New York City

"Someone broke the first hold." A woman in her early twenties called out rubbing her temples. She was beautiful in a sharp sort of way. Her brown hair was cut in a severe bob and her makeup was classic with smoky eyes and red lipstick. She wore a designer dress and heels and was lazily lounging on a white leather chaise.

"Yes, I felt it too. I didn't expect Michael's boy to be so strong." The man was probably in his late forties if his salt and pepper hair was any indication. His clothing was simple, white polo shirt, khaki slacks with a brown belt and shoes. He looked ready to go to the office or the golf green. "If the other holds are broken before we're ready, we will probably have to kill her."

"I knew trusting Jack to do this job was the wrong tact to use. We should have just taken her and locked her up somewhere until it was time." Another woman, younger than the first, spoke coming into the luxurious penthouse suite. She was tall and slim, equally as beautiful as the other woman, but softer, gentler. It was an odd juxtaposition, as her words were full of venom and spite. "Spoiling her with this fallacy of a normal life is beyond me and now look what's happened."

"Oh, don't be cruel. Cassandra is exceptional and affording her special treatment is all right once in a while. There's nothing wrong with being a little spoiled."

"You're one to talk about spoiled."

"Ugh, do shut up about it. What's the point in having power and money if you can't use it?"

"Well, while you were out, no doubt pampering yourself with another six-hundred dollar haircut, I was out working. I took a little trip to Jack's parents' house. I'm afraid his mother had a terrible accident and when his father came home from work, he couldn't bear the grief and killed himself."

"What about the sister?" The man asked.

The slim woman shrugged. "The little trollop teleported before I had a chance to separate her from her ability. I'll hunt her down eventually. Jack needs to learn that his mistakes have severe consequences."

"I don't expect becoming an orphan will be a lesson he forgets." The man sighed. "It is a shame it came to that, but he was warned of the consequences of failure. Let's minimize the collateral damage on this one. Bring the sister in to the fold if you can. If she accepts, we can send her to Blackburn Bay as a living, breathing reminder to Jack."

"We will need to do something about Cassandra soon."

The trio looked out over the city. The view really was magnificent, but out there, on the opposite side of the country was a very real problem. "Yes, we will."

"Any ideas?" The man asked.

A slow, wicked grin spread across the older woman's face. "Oh yes, I'm full of ideas."

-

Author's Note - Short I know, but I wanted to do an alternate perspective for you guys. I can't write much more without giving away all my secrets!

Also, contest update!  I am closing this contest on Thursday, March 31st. We're at 6 entries, and I was really hoping for 10. But, I want to get that featured chapter out to you guys more than I want contest entries! So this is the last chance to enter if you want to!

For those of you who have yet to enter, please see below!

One lucky reader will have a character named after him/her (or someone of their choice) in the next chapter and a dedication. I'm also seriously considering making the winner's character a recurring character!

All you have to do is leave a comment with the following information:

1) Name You Want To Be Used

2) Top 3 Favorite Superpowers

Optional: If you want to write a full bio, GO FOR IT! Have a certain RL person's appearance in mind for the character? Just tell me who!

One entry per person.

Don't forget to VOTE AND SHARE!