Chapter 5 - The Boy is Nuts!

Cassie

"Jack what are we going to do!" I cried.

"You're going to calm down, for one. Then, you're going to tie me up in the yard like you're supposed to. I can handle three weeks on a chain."

"It's inhumane!"

"I'm not a human Cassie."

"I don't care!" It's not common for me to yell. I suppose Jack and I are similar in that way. He very rarely barks. Generally, a growl is enough and I don't talk to people very much (beyond polite conversation with some adults). So really, who am I going to yell at?

"So, you talk to your dog. Is that your big secret?" I heard Greg's voice and turned around. Why was he in my cabin? "Don't worry, I'm not stalking you. I'm in your cabin because it's the one assigned to me. Looks like I'll be your roomie for the next three weeks."

How does he do that? It's like he's reading my mind or something. I wiped the tears away and pushed my sunglasses back on my face. I hated wearing them, but people seemed less freaked out with them on. Something about sightless eyes staring at nothing.

After all, how can the eyes be the windows to the soul, if they remain shuttered?

"I heard about a yogi mystic in India who could talk to animals. Seems like a much cooler superpower than 'stepping over logs and picking up litter echolocation.' So, does Jack speak English or do you just understand Dog?"

What was that in his voice? I could hear his smile. That cocky, smirk broadcasting that he knows something I don't. Something humorous, apparently.

I frowned. "My room is on the left, you can take whichever of the other two. I just need to go tie Jack up."

I really didn't know how I was going to cope without him. I hadn't been anywhere without Jack in over three years. The longest we'd ever been apart was when I took that really long bath back in February. Why didn't I have the good sense to buy one of those stupid harnesses and just keep it on him!

Probably for the same reason why you don't want to tie him up.

What in the-

Was that Greg's voice? In my head... Greg?

I only received a sharp shooting pain through my temples as a response. For just the briefest moment, I felt an emotion that was not my own. Curious.

No I must be imagining it.

I apologised to Jack again and kissed him on his forehead. He brushed it off like it was nothing and I went back inside, albeit with more stumbles than usual.

My memory was excellent, but Jack had always filled in the blanks, given specifics. And with my mind elsewhere, I tripped on the hallway runner. Who puts a rug in a handicap building? I swore under my breath.

"Cassie?"

"What?" I snapped at him.

"Do you need any help?"

"NO!" I yelled.

I do not need help! I'm fully capable of walking in a room that was built specifically for people like me.

As I was screaming in my own head, I walked straight into my bedroom door. Wait? Didn't I leave that open?

"Oh shit Cassie! Are you okay?"

"I'm fine." I spat out through gritted teeth.

"I closed the door when I put your duffle in your room. You kinda ran off without-" He paused, and I felt his fingertip touch my forehead. "You're bleeding."