Chapter 9 - So Many Questions

Cassie

The darkness was cool and inviting. I was used to the black. There was just something about being cut off from the world. I was the only person in this space. The darkness was something that was mine. It was a comfort and a friend. It was always there when I needed it and took whatever I was willing to give. It never asked for anything in return and never took what I didn't offer. It was-

"Careful dear, bad things happen when you give up control over that power of yours." I opened my eyes, expecting that same familiar darkness, but the intense sunlight shocked my eyes. "Yes, you'll need to re-acclimate to the light as well."

I heard fabric swish and the voice spoke again. It was a woman, older I think. She had an air of breeding and refinement about her. "There, try to open your eyes again."

I blinked and saw a very dimly lit room around me. I was in a bed and dressed in pajamas that I definitely didn't remember changing into. "Where is this?"

"This is my family's home in Blackburn Bay, California."

I looked to where the voice was and saw the woman for the first time. She sat at the foot of the bed and was angled toward me. She was breathtaking. Even in the muted light, I knew that she was the type of woman most teenage girls dream of growing into. Her posture was perfection and she carried herself with a practiced ease. Her high cheekbones framed her face beautifully. Her hair was pale and her eyes bright. She looked like some sort of ice queen who deigned to exist with commoners.

"So you're Cassandra. I understand you prefer Cassie?" She asked and I nodded. "You may call me Katherine."

She flicked her hand and a glass of water floated off the bedside table and hovered before me. I took it tentatively and looked up at her. "You're like me."

"Well, yes and no. As far as an overarching Psychic? Yes dear, most of us are in this little town. The ones who are not, either sympathize with us or are oblivious. That's how we like it and we take measures to ensure only the right people live near us and our families. However," she paused, "I am not like you. Not even slightly. Or more to point, you are not like us. All psychics are special, but you, oh you my dear are something else entirely."

She smiled and I opened my mouth to ask more questions when the door flew open. A tall, lean boy burst in. The resemblance to the woman sitting on the bed was unmistakable. He must be her son. His blonde hair was styled perfectly and his blue eyes shone. He had on cargo shorts, deck shoes, and a tank top that showed several tattoos. A pair of wings on his chest, a rose on the inside of his bicep, a spiderweb on his collarbone, and others. 

"Cassie you're awake!" Wait, I know that voice. Is that Gregory? I guess his over confidence is well deserved... 

"Gregory, what on earth is wrong with you. The poor girl could have been changing and you just barge right in here. Apologize to her this instant." Katherine didn't raise her voice in the slightest as she stood, but it was obvious that she meant business. 

"Oh, I'm sorry Cassie." He ran his fingers through his hair and smiled a quirky half-smile. "Is it okay if I stay?"

"No, she's only just woken up. Go put the kettle on and make some chamomile and peppermint tea for us in the parlor. There are macaroons in the cupboard and sandwiches in the refrigerator." Without another word, he closed the door. "Cassie, there's a bathroom just through there so that you can have a shower and you'll find the closet and dresser drawers are full of things for you. If there is anything else you need, simply let me or Gregory know."

"But I have so many questions."

"I know you do, but you must remember that the world sees only what we choose to show. You've been through a terribly stressful time and you must pause to collect yourself before you seek your answers. We'll be downstairs when you're ready."

She touched me on my shoulder and smiled softly. It was the kind of smile that only a mother has access to, full of warmth and caring. It was gentle and strong at the same time. I felt safe around Katherine and instinctively knew that she was the kind of person I wanted to be. Sadness swept over me as I realized that I had never thought the same thing about my own mother. 

Katherine left with that gentle smile still on her face, and I was alone. Yesterday I was just a weird kid who wanted to make it out of high school intact. I had a best friend, couldn't see a damn thing, and good grades. Now, what am I?

I took a moment to survey my surroundings. Jack was no where to be found. There was no dog bed set up and I supposed that in a house like this, animal were not allowed inside. Greg knew how much Jack meant to me, so surely he would have brought my friend along. 

I couldn't remember last night beyond me and Greg hiking to the fishing shed to find Jack and the overwhelming darkness that followed. 

Was it even last night? How long had I been asleep anyways?

I swung my feet out from under the covers and stretched. I looked around and touched all the beautiful things in the room. Everything was luxurious and rich. Katherine must have spent as much money decorating this room as most people would spend on a university degree. Somehow though, it wasn't over the top. The furniture all matched. Everything was cherry woods and white linens. There were paintings on each wall and a silk rug under the bed. There was a small office setup under the window, complete with laptop and all-in-one printer and almost an entire wall of bookcases. The closet doors opened to a small room. 

Though small was not the right word, given that it was as big as my own room back home. The center of the room was mostly open with a chaise and end table and the far wall had a floor to ceiling mirror. The other walls were lined with shelves, drawers and hanging spaces. It was full of clothes that weren't mine as well as accessories like shoes, sunglasses, handbags, and hats. There was a jewelry box sitting on one of the shelves and I opened it to find a delicate string of black pearls, diamond studs, a set of silver bangles, and a simple Celtic knot ring.

None of these things were mine, but they were all in my size. Strangely enough, most of them were things I would pick out for myself if given an unlimited credit card and the force of will to go shopping. I wasn't going to be wearing any of those dresses or skirts any time soon, but on the whole, it was amazing. 

"I suppose this means I'll be here for a while." I muttered to myself.  

Author's Note

Questions, questions, questions... Anyone dying to ask a question about any of the Blank characters?

As always, Vote, Share, and Comment!