Chapter 27: One for All and All for One

Caddie's POV:

Cam...

He was leaning against the wall, in a black PinkFloyd shirt and faded jeans. The menacing look on his face looked so different from what I was used to.
Cam was kind, funny and my safe place. Even when he was hurt, he still managed to resemble the boy I grew to care about. Now he didn't, he looked like ruthless werewolf that was getting prepared to maul me.

Without my consent, my feet slowly dragged me down the stairs until I was nearly in front of him. His glare intensified with every step I took. Hurt and betrayal came off of him in waves. It was almost as if he knew, I joked to myself. Then again, I pondered, he is a werewolf and they do have heightened senses. It could be possible that he heard my entire conversation with Heidi. My eyes widened with the realization.

Cameron knew everything.

Cameron turned abruptly and walked down a narrow and deserted hallway. I followed him knowing he wanted a private place to speak. I peeked into an empty classroom and saw him standing there. His fists were clenched, and his eyes were wild. He didn't look like the boy I knew—he didn't even look like a boy. I could feel how hard it was for him to control his instincts as the werewolf inside was fighting for control.

"Why are you doing this?" he snarled harshly.

There were so many conflicting emotions inside of him. Anger, pain, fear, and betrayal created a tornado of negative emotions in him. I was afraid that he was going to phase and lose control.

"I'm not doing anything wrong," I told with mixed emotions. No one wanted me to save Aleksander, and yet they all felt bad for him.

"Someone needs to do the right thing," I reminded him.

With an enraged roar he phased into a giant wolf with black fur. I jumped back and immediately regretted my reaction. In wolf form he could smell fear just as easily as I could sense it. He growled and bared his large canines at me.

I didn't want to hurt him but as he started to advance my magic began to well up in the palms of my hands. I clenched my fists but he could see a few sparks escape my grasp. His large golden eyes narrowed on those sparks, and I felt his hostility rise. He put another paw forward and I pressed my back against the wall.

"Cam, stop!"

The growling grew louder. I raised my fists but kept them closed, I had no idea what sort of hell would break loose if I opened them.

"Please," I begged as he crouched down on his hind legs. I turned my head to look away, as I did that, the locket hanging around my neck caught his attention. The tension escaped his large body, his eyes softened, and he began to shudder. I slipped out of the room. I didn't want to be confronted by an angry and naked Cameron.

"You can come back into the room now," his rough voice sounded softer and remorseful. I stepped back into the room but kept my eyes close.

"Caddie, I'm not naked," he said with a hint of amusement.

I slowly opened my eyes. He stood in the middle of the classroom with his ripped black shirt tied around his hips. I swallowed uncomfortably and waited for him to talk.

"I would never hurt you," he whispered in a weak voice.

I knew that, Cam would never hurt me. He was my safe place, a place where I could never get hurt by anyone. Or even by myself. I took a timid step towards him and looked directly in his golden eyes. I needed him to see that I wasn't scared. He took a deep breath and laid his forehead on mine.