Chapter 12: Times in the Dark

CADDIE's POV:

I waited anxiously to see Cam the next day. Even though I hadn't known him for long, he managed to worm his way under my skin. Besides Alix, he seemed to be the only person who wanted to know the real me. Not the future heir. To my surprise, he was still standing and looked completely unscathed. In fact, he seemed better than ever. He had a newfound confidence when he was around me. I looked forward to those five minutes after class filled with bland jokes and awkward conversations.

Over the next month, I adjusted to my new life easily. The other council heirs were like family to me, except for Mira and Aleksander. I stepped out of my way to ignore them both.

Mira began to wiggle her way her way under Aleksander's arm. She was attached to him like a leech, sucking the life out of everything. My powers developed at a scary rate, and Heidi was practically choking on pride during the lessons whereas I had to choke on my bile. Why couldn't I have been born with a nice gift, like an elemental?

Using magic gave me a thrill that couldn't be matched by any drug or adrenaline rush. A feeling of content washed over me every time I activated my powers, I only wish my powers weren't designed to kill people. It seemed preposterous that a shy small town girl like me, could be turned into a weapon of mass destruction in a month. But that's exactly what happened, and I didn't know if I liked it or not.

"Isn't it so cool that you can decapitate a body with the flick of the wrist?" Mava squealed in history class.

I awoke from my daydream, and gave her a funny look. I had forgotten that Mr. Bryant was still teaching the class about the different powers of the council members.

"Oh, Mava, shut up or else she'll do it to you," Irene scolded her friend.

The blood drained from Mava's face. Shrugging my shoulders I turned my attention on jotting down the notes. I was getting used to feeling fear pour off of my classmates in waves. I didn't enjoy being the reason why an entire generation was afraid of the dark, but Aunt Heidi said it was essential it I wanted to be an effective ruler. I had read "The Prince," by Niccolo Machiavelli enough times to know that it was better to be feared than loved. Just when I thought I couldn't take another second of listening to Mava's meek apologies, the bell rang and I fled.

Classes without Alix were absolute torture. The other students would whisper about me and point me out to their friends, like I was a museum exhibit. When Alix was in my classes she managed to shut them up with one harsh glare. I was mostly free from the spectators but I couldn't stop feeling their never ending curiosity and fear.

I hurried to defense class, hoping to avoid Aleksander. Obviously, I couldn't keep it up forever. We did have to spend the rest of our lives together as council members. Once I got to the class, I headed towards the back room, but Fredrick stopped me.

"Not so fast little girl. Today you are sparring with everyone else," He informed me. My face must have resembled Edvard Munch's The Scream because Maddox and Ryder began to howl with laughter.

"Good. Aleksander's here." Fredrick said once the last person to class arrived.

"Caddie, you'll be sparring with Aleksander." Fredrick was clearly speaking, but I couldn't hear him passed the deafening roar of my heartbeat.

Aleksander and I chanced a look at each other; and Ryder and Maddox began to laugh again. Kimone bounded over to the two of them and pulled on their ears.

"Ow ow ow," They whined in union. I gave her a grateful look. On the other side of the room, Mira gave me her signature death stare. If looks could kill, I'd be obliterated from existence.