Chapter 13: Elemental Games

CADDIE's POV:

The memory of Martha was seared into my mind. Even if I had to do that trick a thousand more times, I knew the pain would never going away. No matter how vile or cruel a person had been during their lifetime, I  would never wish that kind of torture upon anyone. Not even the darkest souls who walked upon the earth were evil enough to face my wrath. For once in my life, I could actually see why people had called me a monster. And even though I became physically ill my only fear was, how will it be when I learn more about my powers? Will I reach a point like my aunt? A point when eventually it doesn't matter. A point when I look back on my lessons and realize what I did to Martha was only child's play.

My head was starting to pound as new fears arose. That was only my first lesson; the worst had definitely yet to come. Forcing a smile, I tried to carry on with my daily activities without raising any suspicions. I had faked a smile so many times before, so it that wasn't hard to do. I should be an actress, I thought dryly, my ability to pretend to be something I wasn't was astounding.

During breakfast I picked at my food; and tried to keep up with the conversations. It was hard to pay attention to Ryder's corny jokes when I kept seeing Martha's hollow eyes staring into my soul. Ryder and Mira had it so easy, all they had to do was punch a bag repeatedly and run for hours. The rest of us had to control emotions, minds, demonic powers and balance the universe. Just when I thought the universe couldn't be any meaner to me, Aleksander decided to kick me in the shin.

"Shit," I cursed giving him a dirty look.

My glare softened when I felt his concern for me. His face didn't give it away, since he was just as good as me at schooling his features. But after spending so much time with the heirs I had became more accustomed to their emotions. Don't ask me why though, I have no clue.

"What's wrong," he mouthed.

Mira looked over suspiciously, so I mocked him to mislead her. She glanced away and when he asked again I said nothing. There was no point in telling anyone, especially not the others. My powers were supposed to be a gift; I know many girls who would love to take my place. Aleksander wouldn't let it go, he continued to look over at me throughout the meal. I knew the second he got me alone he'd be bombarding me with questions. I pushed my fruit to the side, and joined in with the laughter on the other side of the table.

Alix's POV:

I watched Caddie with a curious eye. I knew exactly why she was pretending to be fine, but I was confused as to why she hadn't told anybody yet. She hadn't even told me, I only knew because of my gift. Normally I'm not so nosy. In fact I normally don't care, but I'm her protector and sooner or later I'll have to face the facts. The fact is that I do care. Little Caddie is shy, awkward and not always the smartest fish in the sea. However she intrigues me, and just like everyone else here I'm starting to realize she's capable of more than she looks like.

"Alix!" Someone yelled for my attention. I grimaced as I turned my attention to one of my brother's cronies.

"Are you going to the game tonight," the person asked. I vaguely remembered my brother rambling on about an elemental game tonight. It was like the witches version of football. Two out of the four elements would compete. Each team had to get their elemental token into the other end zone. An element token, is a large wooden disk with that elements symbol on it. Since it was called the 'elemental' games only students were powers specialized in the different elements could participate.

"Sure, I'll just have to ask Caddie." The girl's face fell once I said that. I thought  her name was Chelsea but I couldn't be positive. We had met the night of the Bon fire, but most of the night had turned into a hazy memory. I only remembered saving Caddie from the oaf. Even though I barely remembered the girl, she believed that we could enter a relationship in the future. And even though she was pretty, I couldn't put my job as Caddie's protector on hold. Lady Böse would kill me before I even entertained the thought.