Chapter 8

September 1473 - October 1473

Alice had been in labor for a day and a half. She was exhausted and wanted to give up. Her friends were by her side the whole time.

"You can do it, Alice," said Mary, "keep pushing. Your babe will be here soon."

"I can't... " Alice said. She was so tired.

"One more push, Lady Alice," said the midwife.

Alice pushed hard one last time and her daughter was born.

"You have a daughter, Alice. She is beautiful," said Mary. Eleanor, Jane and Margery went over to Alice.

"Is she healthy?"

"Yes, she looks very healthy. Do you want to hold her?"

"No"

"Why not?"

"I have to give her up soon. I don't want to get attached."

Mary frowned. "Are you sure?"

"I am very sure. It will make the pain of our impending separation hurt less."

"Alright," Mary passed the baby to the midwife and left the room. Margery, Eleanor and Jane followed her so Alice could rest.

"I can't believe that Alice does not want to hold her own baby," said Jane.

"It makes sense why she does not," said Eleanor, "the baby will be sent away to a convent soon."

"I know that, but it's still her daughter."

"I don't see why she can't keep her baby," said Margery, "she could just stay here at Middleham. We could say that the baby belongs to one of the servants."

"That would only cause her more pain," said Eleanor.

"At least she would be able to see her baby," said Margery.

Mary stopped walking and turned around. "Alice has made her decision. She agreed that this solution is the best, even though she hates the fact that she has to do it. We must respect her wishes. When the baby is sent off to St. Agnes's, things can go back to the way they were and we can put this mess behind us."

"Mary's right," said Eleanor, "this is the best decision for both Alice and her baby."

Margery and Jane nodded their heads in agreement.

"When is the baby to be taken to St. Agnes's?" asked jane.

"As soon as possible, before the weather gets cold"

Ten days passed. It was now time for them to take Alice's baby to the convent of St. Agnes. Mary was with Alice before the baby was to be taken away. Mary held the baby as she waited with Alice.

"Are you sure you don't want to hold her? Or even look at her?" Mary asked Alice.

"No," said Alice.

"At least name her."

"The nuns will name her or you can. I don't care. I just want her gone."

"Don't say that. She is your daughter."

"Only for a few more minutes."

"She will always be your daughter, Alice."

Alice did not say anything after that. When the time came for them to take the baby away, Alice had a change of heart.

"Wait..." Alice called out, "let me hold her... just for a minute."

Mary took the baby out of the maid's arms and brought her to Alice, who held the baby for a little while and named her.