Chapter 11

June 1475 to July 1475

It was the middle of the night. Mary suddenly sat up, as she had been unable to sleep. She got out of bed and went to light her candle by her bed. She went over to her jewelry box, opened it and took out a folded up letter from from Richard. She had received it a few days before. She read it again to be reassured that Richard had safely arrived in Calais.

'Richard is safe,' Mary thought to herself, 'Richard is safe."

She went back to bed after that and tried to sleep, but could not for the longest time. She would have rather been in her own bed at Middleham Castle, but she was at court with her ladies and her friend Anne Neville. But she had to be at court to get news about Richard whenever it first arrived.

Mary woke up late that next morning. She summoned her ladies, who were all ready for the day.

"Are you alright Mary? You seem tired as of late," said Margery, "are you -"

"I am not with child. I am just missing my husband," said Mary, "what about you?" Mary eyed Margery's stomach.

Margery smiled. "I wanted to keep a secret until I knew I was certain, but yes, I am with child."

"Congratulations," Mary exclaimed. She, Alice, Jane and Eleanor went over and hugged her. Margery gave Mary a sympathetic look.

"I don't need your pity Margery. I have accepted that I am not pregnant. I am happy for both you and Eleanor."

"Thank you," said Margery.

"I personally wish that I was not pregnant," said Eleanor, "I am ready for this baby to be born."

"You've been complaining about your pregnancy since day one," said Alice. She was bitter that she was not pregnant yet.

"I have a right to complain amongst my friends," said Eleanor, "I still have morning sickness. I can't go riding or hunting or dance. All I can do is sit or read or embroider. I am miserable."

"You will have a baby in a few months,: said Alice, "you should be excited."

"I am sure that I will love my baby when I hold him or her for the first time, but I am miserable now. You should understand that."

Alice gave Eleanor a dirty look and began to walk off.

"Alice," said Mary, "do not leave. You still have to attend me for the morning."

"Yes, your grace," Alice said, bowing respectfully to Mary.

Everyone remained silent after that as as dressed Mary for the day. By the time Mary was ready for the day, it was time for the midday meal. Mary and her ladies walked to the feast hall. Anne and Isabel Neville were already there, as well as the queen (who was with child again) and her children and several of her sisters.

"Mary," Queen Elizabeth called out, "come and sit with me.:

"Of course, your grace," said Mary. She went and sat next to the queen as her ladies went and sat near the Neville sisters.

"Have you been well Mary? You seem very withdrawn these days," said Elizabeth.

"I am just missing my husband and my son."

"Understandable. I am missing my husband and my sons. My oldest son Thomas Grey are in France with Edward and my son Richard Grey is with my little Edward and my brother Anthony in Wales. But I am thankful that my youngest son, Richard is here with me and my daughters."

Mary eyed Elizabeth's eldest daughter Elizabeth, Lizzie as they liked to call her.

"Your children are all so lovely, especially your eldest daughter."

"Yes. I am sure my husband will find a brilliant match for Lizzie."

Lizzie, who had been talking with her sisters, looked at Mary and Elizabeth and smiled.

'Men will fall at this little girl's feet when she is grown,' Mary thought as she smiled lovingly at her niece.

Another month had passed. Mary received another letter from Richard. She was pleased to learn that they had not actually fought yet. But when she learned that Edward had made a treaty with the French king Louis, her happy thoughts faded. She had realized that she had been separated from her husband for weeks and there was not even a war. She should have been happy, but she was not. But at least she knew that Richard was safe and that she would see him soon.

After receiving the letter, Mary went to go find her ladies, who were all chatting with Anne and Isabel Neville. Mary told all of them about the letter. Isabel had already seemed to know about what had happened. She became angry and excused herself. Anne followed.

"Why do you think she is angry? Isn't this supposed to be a good thing?" asked Margery.

"The taxes were raised to pay for this invasion. The people were expecting a victory. Richard wanted the honor in restoring the lands the mad king lost. George wanted to be regent. But because King Edward made the treaty, there will be no glory or honor," said Mary.

Alice sighed. "At least our husbands are all safe. We know that they will be coming back."

"I suppose it's good on that sense," said Mary.

"Do you know when they will be back?" asked Jane asked Mary.

"Sometime in September... but I don't think I want to stay here until September, so I have decided that we shall leave within a week. I need to see my boy and Eleanor should not be traveling in September, as she will be close to her birthing time then."

"I quite like it here at court," said Eleanor, "but if you want to leave, then I suppose I will be fine with it." She put her hand on her large belly.

Mary briefly stared at Eleanor's belly. She was happy for Eleanor, but a part of her was envious of her. Mary wished that she was pregnant. She wanted to have another child so much.

A week passed by fast. It was now time for Mary and her ladies to return to Middleham Castle. Queen Elizabeth herself escorted them out.

"I wish you safe travels on your journey home," Queen Elizabeth said to Mary and her ladies.

"Thank you, you grace," Mary bowed respectfully to Elizabeth.

Elizabeth nodded her head and walked back to the castle with her own ladies. Isabel and Anne Neville were still out there. Mary hugged both of them goodbye. Anne would have come back with them, but decided to go and stay with Isabel until September, the month that the men were supposed to come back.

Once everyone was in the carriage, they began their journey back to Middleham Castle. As Mary stared out the window and watched the castle get smaller and smaller, she could not help but think of Richard. She hoped that being separated from him for so long would be worth it.