epilogue

Budapest - George Ezra

-------------------------------------------------------------------

July 2017

"I'm going to need to buy another bookcase." Taylor murmurs as she watches Karlie continue to squeeze the last of her books onto the packed shelves of Taylor's bookcase. Taylor has another box of books in her hands but she doesn't think they'll be able to fit.

"I didn't realize how many I had." Karlie admits sheepishly, stepping back to look at the packed shelves. Taylor's shoulder brushes against Karlie's arm, and they stand there staring at the bookcase and trying to come up with a viable solution to the unexpected issue.

"Some can go on your nightstand." Taylor points out.

"And what about that office upstairs that you never use? Isn't there a bookcase up there?"

"No, because I never use it." Taylor shrugs. "But we can pick one out tomorrow."

"But we're having lunch with your parents tomorrow, remember? And then you have that meeting with Tree."

"The day after tomorrow, then."

With a plan set in motion, they both make their way out of Taylor's music room and come to a stop when they see how many boxes they have left. Karlie's move-in process has been a weekend-long ordeal, and it feels like they've hardly done anything because they keep bumping into setbacks. Yesterday they realized that Taylor's huge closet was too small for two because of the singer's extensive wardrobe, so they had had to move some things around. They both ended up having to make some sacrifices. They also came to the realization that Joe and Meredith are probably never going to get along, which has created a sizable rift in the apartment. Joe had originally been eager to meet both of Taylor's cats, but after Meredith scratched his nose when he got a little too close to her, she's been on his shit list. Karlie and Taylor have come to the conclusion that the two will need to be kept apart, at least for the time being.

Now they need to get a new bookcase to accommodate Karlie's vast collection of literature, but Taylor doesn't mind in the slightest. She's just glad that Karlie has finally decided to officially move in. The two have practically been living together for a few months now, but nothing had ever been set in stone.

Things are different now, though. Taylor is going to wake up next to Karlie every single day. They are going to eat breakfast together, and maybe even lunch and dinner if their schedules allow it. Taylor is going to come home to Karlie at the end of the day, and now there is nothing preventing them from falling asleep together.

It's hard to care about any of these little obstacles, because all Taylor cares about is having Karlie.

They spend the rest of the afternoon unpacking what is left of Karlie's things, and when the last cardboard box is thrown in the recycling bin, they collapse on the couch. Karlie's arm finds its way around Taylor's shoulders, and they both sit there and look around at what is now their home. It's not just an apartment anymore, and Taylor wonders if Karlie feels the significant shift too.

"This is weird," Karlie says as she continues to look around the living room. "A good weird, but still weird."

"It's going to take some getting used to." Taylor agrees, lacing their fingers together while Karlie reaches for the remote to the television.

They order out for dinner and watch TV for a few hours, and it turns into a relaxing night in. They tend to spend their evenings like this, unless Taylor manages to convince Karlie to dress up and go somewhere nice. They try to have at least one date night a week, just to keep the romance alive, but sometimes there's nothing they want to do aside from sprawl out on the couch and be lazy together.