eighteen

A/N: Hard to write and hardly proofread, but here you go.

We Won't - Jaymes Young

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Her album is about to be released to the general public. October seems to go by in the blink of an eye, and before she knows it, it is the 26th and she is a puddle of nerves. She has so many things lined up for the next day that she decides to spend the day before in the company of family and friends. Her parents and brother fly up from Nashville to visit, and some of her friends have made time in their busy schedules to attend the small get-together that Taylor is hosting. Karlie's friends even come, and the fact that the brunette had willingly included them gives Taylor hope that their relationship is progressing smoothly. It is the first time their respective friend groups are under the same roof, and seeing their worlds collide is oddly exhilarating for Taylor. But what truly means the world to Taylor is how well Karlie is getting along with her family. She knows the brunette had been mortified when she learned that the Swifts would be attending party, but she hadn't run away like last time. She had stayed, and had even brought her friends along, and to Taylor that meant everything. It's a step forward for Karlie. It's a step forward for them.

Taylor is sipping on her second glass of wine, and has her eyes and ears trained on the conversation that Karlie is currently having with her mother.

"Well I'm glad to have finally met you, darling. Every time Taylor calls there's always something to be said about you," Andrea's voice is warm and welcoming, and Taylor grins against the rim of her wine glass.

"Hopefully only the good things." Karlie laughs, but it is shaky and her smile is a tad forced. She is rubbing her palms on her denim covered knees, and Taylor can easily spot the waves of anxiety rolling through the brunette's shoulders.

"There were only good things to tell." Taylor says as she lightly rests a hand on the small of Karlie's back. Karlie is still tense, but the smile on her face spreads bashfully.

Andrea observes them closely, and if Taylor wasn't so wrapped up in Karlie she would've given her mom a pointed look for making everything so glaringly obvious. Taylor hasn't really told her family that she's seeing someone, but her mother has always been extremely intuitive when it comes to those types of things. Sometimes she knew Taylor liked someone before Taylor herself knew.

"I hear you read a lot?" Andrea draws Karlie's attention again.

"It's all I do aside from work." Karlie nods.

"What are some of your favorites?"

It's the perfect question, and Taylor smiles as Karlie's eyes light up. The brunette goes on to tell Andrea about her extensive book collection, and what she wants to read in the near future and what her all-time favorites are.

Conversation ebbs and flows around Taylor for the rest of the evening. She detaches herself from Karlie's side to make sure her other guests are doing alright, but she always ends up in Karlie's sights when she needs a break from mingling. Karlie doesn't stray far from her own group of friends after she finishes talking with Andrea. Every time Taylor glances across the room, the brunette is either chatting with her friends or staring longingly at the copious amounts of alcohol surrounding her.

When the clock strikes midnight, Taylor is sitting on the couch with her phone in her hand and supportive, smiling faces surrounding her. She's on the phone with Scott, the president of her record label and the man who had given her a chance back when was just an awkward girl with a guitar. He's as excited as she is, and confirms that the album has gone up on iTunes and is currently sitting on thousands of shelves across the world. The call is quick, and when Taylor ends it she lets out the squeal that she has been holding in since she woke up that morning. She hugs her mother first, and then her father pulls her into a bone crushing bear hug. Austin is next, and then her friends all flock around her to offer their congratulations in whatever way they can. At the end of it all is Karlie, who is looking at Taylor with soft green eyes and a proud smile. Taylor loses herself in that moment. She forgets that half of the people in that room don't even know she's dating the beautiful brunette who has been attached to her side for the better part of the night. She forgets that their relationship is supposed to be a closely guarded secret, and she forgets that Tree is currently in attendance, sitting right next to her parents.