Chapter - 21

To say that the night was long wasn't an exaggeration. Even the memories of when they'd fallen asleep in between the exchange of sweet kisses after a sizzling session was as fresh as flowers. Things had escalated quickly but the sanity hadn't been lost before sleep had taken over their senses. Maithili woke up to find herself cuddled into his arms and an already awake Nikshit with puffy eyes looking at her.

The alarm that'd been blaring was shut off by him on the first ring. They'd barely been able to catch three hours of sleep. Maithili’s palm made its way to his face, smiling. She'd yearned so much for this moment, it felt like an achievement now that she was living in it.

“Shaving day.” She whispered, rubbing her palm over his cheek. Nikshit broke into a grin and pulled her in to share a quick kiss. She loved it. Kissing. It was very amusing to watch her ask for one in the most awkward or straightforward way possible. Just like now, her lips were pushed out in a pout, asking for a kiss again.

“Good Morning to you too. Did you sleep well?” Nikshit asked while planting several kisses over her mouth. Maithili would have been annoyed with his tone that was like cooing a baby had it been another day but right now, she just wanted to let herself soak in as much sugar as she could. Cringe? It's fine. She just wanted to be free.

“After a long time. Thank you.” The drop in her voice was evident but her smile was bright enough to reach her eyes. She was really delighted to have him back.

“For? The hug delivery?”

“For coming back.” Maithili’s finger traced over his raised eyebrow. Nikshit held her hand, pulling it down to his lips and left a soft feathery kiss on her palm. “Missed me?”

“Tremendously missed the hug fairy. You?”

“What do you think?” Nikshit smiled in between the soft kisses. Maithili was someone who didn't like to talk the first thing in the morning until she was done brushing her teeth. She was surprised with herself because she didn't care anymore it seemed. She'd miss him anytime, anyday and anywhere if given a chance.

Getting ready hurriedly in a white Munga-Kota saree with thread work of silk embroidery in maroon, Maithili left her wet hair open to air dry after rubbing it half dry with a towel. Her forehead was adorned with a maroon oval bindi in the middle of the eyebrows and crimson red vermillion in the painting of her hair. There were red and white sankha-pola bangles on her hand with a dozen of red plain glass bangles in between.

She took out the maroon jewelry box for the first time that Nikshit had gifted her on the first day of their marriage. There was a pair of gold jhumkas along with a pair of thick silver anklets with a lot of ghungroos embedded on them. Maithili hadn't been able to wear heavy anklets after her marriage, finally on joyous occasions she could take them out. She admired the peacock shaped tops on the jumkas after wearing them, they were heavy and looked gorgeous.

When Nikshit walked out of the loo, she saw him through the mirror. He was wearing a vest and holding the dhoti in a manner as if he was going to just wrap it like a lungi instead. Maithili watched him do exactly that as she applied kohl. He'd pulled out a new crisply pressed blue kurta from the wardrobe and pulled it over his head. Maithili quickly wiped her fingers which had lipstick on them and made her way towards him.

“Hold it up. I'll help.” Maithili said, pulling the kurta up. Nikshit stood stiffly in his place, taken aback by her sudden move. Maithili narrowed her eyes when she held the dhoti that was tucked on his waist and he flinched.

“Stay still. I won't do anything.” She rolled her eyes and opened the dhoti again. Nikshit watched her make pleats with hurried hands like a pro and tuck it on the waist, from the front then from behind after passing it from the front to the back from inside between his legs. He couldn't breathe normally and his palms were sweating. She was so close!