Chapter - 14

“Maithili, we're going shopping. Do you want to come along?” Neelam offered as soon as they'd walked out of the lift. Maithili, who was clueless about the plan of her in-laws going on a date, beamed immediately.

“Yes!”

“No!” Nikshit spoke at the same time as Maithili did. As expected, he got the three pairs of eyes looking at him with different meanings behind them.

“What? Only you two can go on a date?” Ignoring the stares, Nikshit held Maithili’s hand and pulled her to himself. His parents really lied too cleanly at times. They looked at each other and then back at Neelam and Viren who had teasing smiles on their faces.

“Have a great time. Bye.” Feeling very awkward by his own sudden move Nikshit muttered and gave a tug on Maithili's hand to follow him. Maithili was too embarrassed to stay standing in front of her in-laws at this point. Her husband was so shameless!

“You two, as well! Have a great time together!” Neelam shouted from behind, chuckling at the two walking hand in hand, too embarrassed to even look back at her.

Maithili was glad to have never faced this situation in front of her own parents because her parents weren't as cool as Nikshit’s. Having thought about her parents, Maithili was reminded of her home again for the third time today.

She hasn't been able to visit her home after marriage again after the first time she’d gone with Nikshit for a ritual. Luckily it was the same week her father was leaving again so she was able to meet him for one last time before his departure. Talking on the phone with her mother and Atharv isn't the same as before. She feels like a distant relative of theirs sometimes. Never had she imagined that it'd be so hard to manage time after marriage. The whole point of marrying into the same city isn't working out at all.

They were on the way. The car ride was as usual silent. She really hated it, the silence in his car. Even the radio was off! Nikshit was really too boring in certain things. Maithili did not ask him about the date he'd just told about. It wasn't a big deal, a date with her husband was a normal thing, the bare minimum she was going to experience for the first time after marriage.

She noticed the different route he'd taken. It was probably going to be a long boring ride, she thought. Maithili wasn't able to hold herself back anymore and switched on the radio, changing channels slowly as if she was waiting for him to tell her to switch it off and then she'd fight him.

“Red FM is good.”

To her surprise, Nikshit gave an input instead of asking her to switch it off. Maithili left the radio at the channel and comfortably settled in her seat, finally feeling like she'd accomplished something. Her head rested back on the headrest, the seat pushed back a little bit for more comfort and her head turned to the right, looking at him.

Nikshit felt it, her gaze, and couldn't stop himself from glancing back at her for a second. It was barely even a second but he could feel his mood lifting up immediately. Nikshit couldn't control his lips from curving up, his wife is just too pretty.

“You didn't ask me where we're going.” Nikshit broke the ice without looking at her. He knew she was still looking at him, as if waiting to see how long he could hold himself back from talking.

“I read somewhere ‘don’t ask if not told’.” Maithili had a grin quirked on his face. It was fine with her, going on a date, having someone she could call her partner and in the future maybe, if possible, she'd like to fall in love, but there was something which did not let her pass the boundary she had kept for herself. That someone in her life just happened to be Nikshit Dahiya and Maithili has been trying really hard to accept it. When that happened, she didn't know herself but it was a nice feeling to have someone who was called hers.