Chapter - 2

They were coping up with humor and stuffing their mouths with food at this point. Many people have left the restaurant already and it's a little bit emptier than when they had walked in.

The waiter removed the empty plates and served some water before taking his leave again. Maybe he has been enjoying the free show of the customers. It's not like Nikshit and Maithili were the only ones providing a ticket free drama after all.

“But seriously though. Do something about it. I really don't want to marry you. I don't even know you properly.” Maithili whined after their laughter session had died down. Nikshit looked at her quietly before she urged him again with her hands to say something. He really didn't want to speak anymore.

“What do you want me to do exactly? The most I can do is to tell my parents to call off the marriage because I don't like you.” Nikshit kept his face straight as he spoke. Maithili’s eyes lit up instantly when she heard that. Yes. Exactly what she wants.

“You will?” The excitement dripping from her voice made him scoff inside. Why does she look so happy about it anyway? “You’re not kidding are you?” She held her hands together in anticipation. Nikshit’s face did not give away anything at all. She couldn't understand if he really meant that so she waited until he opened his mouth and shat on her brief excitement.

“I won't.”

“Huh?”

“Don’t be so happy for now at least. You said you don't want to get married but I never said that I don't want to get married. It's not like a ‘I don't like her’ would be all that it takes for mine or your parents to accept this decision. Use that pea sized brain of yours and come up with a reason as unquestionable as possible. A solid foundation is wh—”

“Stop with your solid, liquid and gas agenda already. What's with the story behind your so-called 'solid reason'? You've used the word about twenty times already!”

Maithili frustratedly looked at him and then his plate which still had an untouched piece of patties in it. Maithili suddenly wanted to eat more. She also realized that Nikshit didn't order any patties for her. Jerk!

“You’ve been counting? I'm impressed, Sankhla.” Nikshit’s fake ‘serious’ demeanor had her stabbing him with a spoon in her head. Right now all she wanted to do was throw it at his face to wipe off that expression which screamed ‘I’m smarter than you’.

“Shut up.” Maithili concentrated on her last remaining bits of sandwich and chewed on them as if she was grinding something she hated the most in this world in between her teeth.

“You can order more if you want. I'll pay.” That cheesy smile was so charming that it might have kept her swooning over him for hours had it been some other day because Nikshit Dahiya did not smile every day and it was the most rare sight to her eyes but again, ‘had it been some other day’ was the keyword. Right now her teeth were ground until they started making noise. Nikshit was taken aback for a moment when he heard it. It seemed like he's going to have a toothless wife soon.

"I will order if I damn want to! And I can pay for my meals. You don't have to worry about it.” She took a look again at his plate and rolled her eyes again for the umpteenth time.

“You're not eating it anymore so it'll be wasted. We should not waste food. But hey, I can't have that one so— Nikshit! I just thought of a perfectly ‘solid’ reason." It looked like a toothpaste angel had suddenly blessed her with the best idea because the way she flashed her teeth was nothing less than a Colgate blessing.

"You have brushed your teeth today. I can see that. They look very white and healthy.” Nikshit even gave a thumbs up after saying that.

“Dahiya!”