Chapter 16

"Roderich! Roderich wake up, wake up! Get up, you asshole!" Gilbert hissed. "There's something.... Never mind, just get your ass out of bed and dressed, we're leaving!"

He blinked, his eyes taking a moment to focus. There was Gilbert, bright red eyes staring into his, reflecting the little bit of moonlight that shone in threw the open window. His mind was still hazy, cold hands clamped on his shoulders. "...What...?" He mumbled.

"I said get up, get up, Roderich!" He was starting to sound desperate, shaking his shoulders, his nails digging into his skin.

"Gilbert, what...? You aren't making any sense..." He groped blindly at his bedside table until he found his glasses, slipping them onto his face.

"Roderich, please, please we don't have much time." Gilbert practically begged, his hands almost shaking.

"Alright, alright... Just let me get up."

Gilbert jumped off of him, grabbing him by the arm and yanking him out of bed. "Quickly! Come on!"

"...What are you going on about...? Gilbert it's six... We don't have to be at school until eight..."

"We don't have much time! Please, please Roderich, faster!" He grabbed a shirt and a pair of pants from Roderichs drawer, shoving them into his hands.

"Gilbert, you're scaring me-"

"Hurry up!"

"Gilbert- what are you-"

"Please!"

In probably record time, Roderich was dressed and had his hair brushed. Gilbert didn't explain anything, and was desperately trying to drag Roderich downstairs. "Please, we don't have much longer!"

Roderich was terrified. If something had Gilbert this worked up and desperate, it had to be something bad.

Gilbert dragged Roderich by the arm down the wooden stairs, kicking open the door to the kitchen and shoving Roderich inside.

And then suddenly there was confetti, balloons, streamers, cheering, and the smell of frosting and baked goods.

And that was when he realized that it was October twenty sixth, the day he'd been born.

He was officially sixteen.

There was laughter and cheering, and he was picked up from behind, being held above most of the crowd by Gilbert, who was laughing louder than the rest. "I fooled you, didn't I, you adorable asshole!"

Roderichs entire world seemed to freeze. He felt like giggling, his head fuzzy. His chest was practically filled with helium, a bright smile creeping into his face.

Gilbert had called him adorable.

And for once in his life, he felt happy.

"Happy birthday, little prince!" Gilbert laughed, setting him back down on the ground before turning him around and trapping him in a bone crushing hug.

Even vash and Ludwig were smiling, Albin shoving breakfast into his mouth. Mrs. Kordyback had made cinnamon rolls to celebrate, and they smelled absolutely heavenly.

That day was a good day.

During the morning announcements they announced his birthday, and the entire class sang "happy birthday," which he thought was kind of immature but still took that kind gesture to heart. The people who usually picked on Gilbert actually left him alone, and he was able to get out of running in gym and was allowed to walk instead.