Chapter 29

Briar's pov
"Well, here we are," my father says as we pull up next to the large building.
It was only a five minute drive, twenty if we weren't speeding and going through every red traffic light. Oops I guess. Good luck paying those fines father! But onto a more serious topic, we are actually at the lab.

I feel a shiver go down my spine as I stare at the building. It's horrible! Of course I'd told father what happened to me there on the way here, and I still feel a bit weird from it now! Do I really want to go back in there? Yes! I must! I'm not leaving without Myles!

"I'll talk to them, take them to another room whilst you save Myles and go out the way you got in the first time you came here, ok?" father asks, me making sure I know the plan even though he'd already told me a thousand times on the way here.

"Yes," I say with a slight sigh. "I know."
"Ok, let's go!" he exclaims and we basically jump out of the car.
He walks through the main entrance, pushing the door instead of pulling, a common mistake made by many. But, he finally tumbles inside, leaving me to find the secret entrance.

Alan's pov (Briar's father)
I begin to walk with quite a quick pace down the long, empty hallway that was the other side of the door. My eyes wander around, reminding me that I used to work here. I still know the place pretty well, so I won't get lost easily!

However, I stop for a few moments, peering at the wall that's beside me. Carved into it in small letters is 'A N'. That was me! I carved that in! It was on my last day, the day I decided to quit. Why did I quit? I was heading back to my department one morning, but then I walked past a window and saw something suspicious. There was a boy lying on a table, asleep, but he looked almost dead. He had wires attached to him and- oh my gosh. That was Myles! I quit because I saw Myles! As soon as I saw that, I knew there was something wrong here, so I left. I did not want my next experiment to be on a human!

Snapping out of my thoughts, I soon remember that I need to find the scientists, quickly. Wait a minute, there's a shortcut to the room that I saw Myles in for the first time. I can get there quicker! Hopefully he's ok, I don't want my daughter to be even more sad, after what I put her through...

Instantly, I turn around and stare at the wall, now in front of me, trying to find a black line. I see it, it has been painted more obviously than it was when I was here. I gently touch the small black line on the wall, and it soon shoots another line coming out of it, forming the shape of a door on the brick wall. Yep, just how I remember it. Then, a white button appears, pushing a brick out of the wall, almost landing on my foot. Instantly, I press the button and the door shape soon flips the bricks around, almost hitting me in the face, but form a secret passageway. It still works!

Quickly, I dash through it and see the room where I saw Myles for the first time. So, I run up to it and, sure enough, there he is. Except, he isn't being electrocuted like Briar said. He's being stretched! Oh my gosh! This isn't human! They can't do that to him! And all of that for running away? For him wanting to have a life? I have to get in there, now!

I knock on the door loudly, and a deep voice asks, "Who is it? We're busy!"
"Alan, Alan Nolet. Remember me?" I ask in return, hoping they'll be nice to me.

Before I can think about anything else, the door swings open and Myles stops groaning with pain. I turn my head to see what's happening, and I see five men walking towards me. Luckily, they have wide grins on their faces. Not evil, genuine smiles.

"Alan! It's great to see you! What are you doing here?" one of them asks, is it bad that I forgot their names?
But he has a good question, what am I doing here? Oh God! I didn't think about that! What do I say? Oh, I know!
"I came to see you all! I thought that we could have lunch together, in the canteen? Catch up?" I ask hopefully, putting on a fake smile.
"Yeah! Let's go! Come on guys, let's leave the kid for a while," the 'ringleader' I guess orders the others, and we walk out to the canteen, leaving Myles barely alive, in tears.

Briar's pov
I was listening outside the window, I heard it all. So they're at a different room now? At least it's close, well it sounded like I was right beside it! But why does he need to be in a different room? Actually, I can think later! Right now, I have to save Myles!

Quickly, I slip through the window, making a slight creek as I shut it once I'm inside the building. Remembering where I heard the voices, they sound like they came from...the door over there! It's only a few meters away, not far at all!

As soon as I reach the door, I peep through the window and see that it is the right room. Except, Myles is on something different! What is that? He has ropes around his ankles and wrists, I'm so confused! But wait, his eyes are shut (not a good sign), and he had tears all down his cheeks, (also not a gold sign). Oh poor Myles! What have they done?

Angrily, I burst the door open, but not making a lot of noise. He opens his eyes, only slightly, and sees me.
"I told you I'd coms back."