Chapter 23

Myles' pov
Finally, the scientists have left for a while so they can eat. That means no pain for me and Briar for at least half an hour. I feel like it's all my fault that Briar is here with me now. I mean she's crying! I wish she hadn't come after me! I mean, it's nice to have her company, but I don't mean it like I don't want her here. Of course I want her here, but I don't want her to be here in pain. Yeah, I feel like I'm about to drop dead at any moment, but I think Briar does as well. She's never been through anything like this! Poor girl! At least it's stopped for a bit. I should probably calm her down.

"Don't cry Lil' B, it's going to be ok," I lie, how is this going to be ok? This will never be ok! The whole point of me coming here was so that she wouldn't be hurt, but now she is! "You didn't need to come, I appreciate the fact that you wanted to get me out of here, but you've just got yourself into trouble."

"Myles I came to get you, I'm not leaving without you," she says, letting out small sniffles. Ugh, I can't stand seeing her cry! But what she said isn't going to happen! We aren't getting out of here! There is no possible way!

"Briar, listen. There's no way of getting out of here. And they won't let you go, you know too much. So they'll lock you up somewhere when they've finished with this. But me? They'll continue to hook me up to wires and run tests on me. Yeah, that hurts as well, but I won't be with you. See? No way of getting out," I explain, hoping she'll understand why I didn't want her to come.

"That's where you're wrong. There is a way of getting out," she says, turning her head towards me, revealing her mascara that's smudged around her eyes, which are red and puffy now. But, she does have a small smile on her face, leaving me confused.

"What? How?" I ask, furrowing my eyebrows and looking at her with confusion. A way out? How's that possible? I've been here A LOT longer than her, so how would she know a way out? I've been here basically my whole life which means I know every nook and cranny, every hole in the wall and secret door. But, there is no way of escaping. Besides, when I ran away, they left a door open. It was just pure luck. But now I'm back, they will have, for sure, locked every door and blocked out every entrance. So escaping? Sorry Briar, but I'm pretty sure that you're wrong.

Her smile turns into a smirk as she looks at my confused face. What? Am I missing something here? She's really confusing me! I tilt my head slightly and shrug my shoulders a bit, sending her the message that I have NO idea what she's talking about.

"Oh Myles, do you really think that I would've come here alone?" She asks, looking towards the closed door. Wait, is someone outside that door? What? Ugh! I'm so confused! Who's out there?

"Is someone outside the door? Who is it? What's going on?" I question, making her sigh. "Stop acting like I'm stupid!"
"Sorry, you're not. I came here with my sister, she knows how bad it is in here. That means she can get help when she realises that I've been gone for a while," she says, making my mouth form an 'o' shape. Now I see what she means! Thinking outside the box! Quite clever I guess, I'd have never thought of that. Well, I have no siblings, she has Abbey. I just hope she can help.

"Good idea, let's just hope that we're still alive by the time she realises."