Chapter 5

Briar's pov
After a few hours of going around Toronto, Myles had gotten a new ID and new clothes? His new name was Noah Jones but he's still seventeen. Of course I still get to call him Myles, but to everyone else, he's Noah Jones.

As we're walking back to our house, he starts talking.
"So what's your job?" He asks.
"I'm a baker." I say with a smile.
Boy do I love my job! I make cakes, bread and pastries!
"What's that?" He asks, scratching the back of his neck.
"Do you know what a pastry is?" I ask.
"Like a croissant?" He asks.
"Yes! I make croissants, cakes and bread!" I exclaim.
"What's a cake?" He asks, biting his lip.
"Haven't you ever had a birthday cake?" I ask.
"What's a birthday?" He asks.
This is going to be a long conversation.

After I explain EVERYTHING to him, he finally understood.
"Should I get a job?" He asks.
"Maybe when you've learnt a bit more about this century, I'll help you get a job. But for now, I'm going to teach you how to cook." I say and unlock my front door.
"Can I tell you something?" He asks before we step inside the house.
"Sure." I say and turn to him.
"I'm so glad I met you." He says and I feel my face blush a bit.
Why am I blushing?
"Thanks." I say with a small smile and we go inside.

Myles' pov
I honestly don't know why I said that to Briar. I mean it's true but, I didn't mean to say it out loud. However, she did blush a little which was kind of cute.

She takes me into the kitchen and takes out different ingredients from the cupboards. Then she starts talking about what she's making. Something called spaghetti I think. Then, she tells me what to do and tells me to make it. I do as she says and I actually do it! I made spaghetti! She claps and gives me a hug.

"You're getting there! You'll know a lot by the end of this week." She says and continues to hug me.

Briar's pov
I don't know why I keep hugging Myles. It just feels nice. I haven't had a long hug with someone in a while and it just feels really nice to have someone care for me again. Realising he must feel awkward, I pull away.

"Sorry." I say as I let go.
"It's ok." He says with a smile.
"Let's eat!" I say and we both sit down.
Then, we start eating the spaghetti that Myles made. It's actually so nice! Once we finish dinner, we go into our different bedrooms and sleep.

-Nightmare-
I try to break free out of the man's grasp but I can't. He drags me into a dark, circular room and ties me to a chair in the middle.
"What do you know about Myles' power?" He asks sharply.
"Nothing." I say with a gulp.
"Are you sure?" He asks.
"I know nothing." I lie.
"Fine then." He says and holds a gun to my head.
He pulls the trigger and shoots me.
-End of nightmare-

Myles' pov
I wake up at about one in the morning to the sound of screaming. What's going on? Wait, is that Briar? It is!

I run into her bedroom to see her sitting upright on her bed, shaking and tears flowing down her face. She doesn't see me as her head is in her hands so I gently put my hand on her shoulder which makes her jump.

"What's wrong?" I say quietly and crouch down next to her.
"I-I had a-a horrible n-nightmare." She says in between sniffs.
"It's ok Briar." I say and hug her.
Her tears sink into my t-shirt but I don't mind. This nightmare must've been pretty bad or she wouldn't be crying.

"Do you want to talk about it?" I ask once she's calmed down.
"I was in a dark room, tied to a chair and there was a man with a gun. He asked me what I knew about you and I gave no information away. Then he shot me." She says and starts to tear up again.
"Oh Briar I'm so sorry! This is all my fault!" I say and hug her again.
"It's ok I guess. Anyway it was only a dream." She says and I nod.

Just as I was about to leave, she says, "Myles can you stay with me?"
"Of course." I reply and lie down next to her.
I slowly wrap my arms around her waist so she feels safe and not scared.
Then we both fall asleep.