Mollen (Part Thirty-Six)

Chapter 36

"The Phoenix will help on our side."

Moll rolled his eyes. He'd had enough of this with his brother.

"Red's Phoenix does not exist."

Mort stretched out his limbs and leaning back on one of Yole's rough wooden chairs.

"And yet, you say, it is your brother that returns her to us."

The day had been long, the discussions hard and twice the sounds of guards outside the door had stopped Moll's heart beating. He was in no way close to the kind of mood he would need for this conversation.

"I think perhaps arming ourselves is more important than worrying about fables."

"Arming ourselves with the Phoenix would be the best way to go about that."

"You got to admit, your Lord, an immortal warrior would be 'elpful." Pike picked up the pint that rested before him as he spoke.

The afternoon had leaked into evening again, though Moll would have been hard pressed to quote the precise moment at which this had occured, and Pike had returned to the alcohol. Moll was not so forgiving, vowing not to touch any brewed beverage other than tea for quite a while.

"She's not immortal, she's not coming back and she's not going to help."

"That's right." Yole threw his own token of commoner's ignorance into the midst. "Everyone knows she always fights for the king."

"His majesty here is king enough." Duke interjected.

Moll hated them all right then but none so much as the old guard who was far too fond of wrapping his opinion in the guise of fact.

"He Who Howls would make a damned fine asset also."

Moll had long since rolled up his scroll, returning Mort's knife to the man. Now, as the shade continued to spew the tactics behind the help of delusions, he picked absently at the wood on the arm of a chair with it. The whole conversation, participants and all, was completely ridiculous.

"Kat, please." He begged. "Tell them how ignorant this all is. Tell them that we need to spend more time working out how to get iron in the hands of an unknown amount of people in order to protect ourselves rather than discussing whether or not a player that has been dead for over three hundred years will help us."

She scrunched her eyes up all apologetically. Somehow the way she looked so upset to disappoint him softened the blow of her words.

"My Lord, the word is very certain on these matters. More people know about Wolf and Phoenix than even our own cause right now. I think we should send someone out to greet her. If we get Phoenix on our side the whole city will follow. If she's with your brother he will be able to influence her, to swing her towards our cause."

"Might not be 'is brother." Pike had been gesturing wildly but he slowly returned his mug to the table at Moll's stern expression. "Pardon, m'Lord, just saying." He said.

"What other animal howls?" Kat was indignant. "Plus we know Wolf knew where to find her."

"Doesn't matter either way." Duke asserted. "The Phoenix listens to no man other than the king."

"And she's quite happy to kill any man." Mort and Jared's voices clashed as they uttered similar sentiments.

"Enough." Moll growled but no one listened.

"Do you reckon this means the Stars will be opened?"

"The Old Kings are returning, why not the players?" Duke cast a sidelong look at Moll as he spoke. Moll, catching him the act did more that scowl his displeasure.

"I said enough! All of you, go home. This discussion has lasted long enough for today. I'm telling you, as your Lord, to forget Red's Phoenix and her companion. Do not return tomorrow, work and spread the warnings. Come the next day. I have something I need to do before then."

The men stood, if a little reluctantly, at his words. Only Mort remained sitting.

"Mort." Moll growled at the man. "It is time to go home."

Mort shook his head, infuriatingly disobedient as his peers looked on.

"What is it you want to do?" He asked.

"That is none of your business."

Mort tipped his head, tossing his knife into the meat of his chair and tugging it out again.

"Whatever it is that you want to do, your Majesty, with all respect I can do it faster, better and safer. The night is my time. I can be finished in one night what you wish to do tomorrow in a day."

"Listen to my words, Mort. While Hecter breathes I will never be your king. Old King, new King, Birth King, dead King I will be none. But while you are within the council that holds sway by my words you will listen and respond. When I tell you I attend to my business it is my own and you shall not encroach upon my privacy, no matter how much better you believe yourself capable."

Mort tugged his knife sullenly from his chair one last time, leaving splinters. His expression was dark but accepting as he stood.

"My apologies, m'Lord." He grumbled. "I only meant to help."

Moll sighed.

"Some things are personal." He said. "It is me that should apologise. Go now. Tell the world. I shall see you in two days. But be warned: if I catch any of you saying that I am king, I will personally take my retribution. Do you understand?"

They all nodded with varying degrees of lustre bar one.

"Duke." Moll prompted.

"I knows the truth when I sees it, your Majesty, and I 'ent gonna do no lying."

Though one accused himself, Moll was no longer willing to tolerate treason. It was only Kat's hand on his arm that pulled him back.

"You'd better not get caught then, Duke." She warned but Moll was suddenly more concerned with the hand that she was using to gently stroke his arm.

At her gesture and out of the span of his attention the room emptied.

"Moll." She whispered when they were alone. "You're going to do something stupid aren't you?"

"No more stupid than the norm, Katherine."

"Tell me. Let me come with."

"While we are equals I would not like to say lest you turn me back."

"Mollen."

He couldn't stop himself gazing into her beautiful blue eyes, so solemn, so earnest.

"You know you mean a lot to me?"

She lowered her eyes, suddenly shy. No amount of 'm'Lord's were going to get her out of this now, not when his world was slowly, but steadily, crumbling around his shoulders.

"And you too I, m'Lord."

"No, Kat." He shook her so that she couldn't help but look at him. "I want you to be safe. I want you to be happy."

She said nothing, staring soulfully up into his eyes, her hand warm where it still rested on his sleeve. Moll dropped his arms from hers, sighing. She was silent as he turned away.