Thoughts of a Dying Athiest

Phil's POV

Why can't I move ???
Why can't I talk? I want to talk!? Why can't I see? I can't open my eyes?

I could feel my heart beating in my chest, stronger than I ever felt it before. I had itches over my body that I couldn't move to scratch. And all I could do was listen to the voices. What happened?

Where am I?
I don't know.

What is my name?
I have no idea.

I relayed the little that I knew in my head.

I picked up a toy, was knocked off my feet and then I saw brightness seeping through the eyelids.

I hear muttered voices to the left of me. He voice sounds familiar but I can't put my finger on it.

That voice starts to get quieter as I hear soft sobs coming from that direction. Is that person crying over me? I'm not that significant. I'm not even sure who I am.

A few moments later that crying voice  comes closer because I can hear him more clearly.

"Phil" he speaks while sniffling.
My name is Phil. Interesting. "Phil, I'm so sorry. I couldn't save you." He takes a sharp breath. "You always have saved me. You saved me a few weeks back. And now you're in this coma and I can't do anything. I'm so sorry. I love you so much."

He started to cry and I felt his hand brush mine. And for a second I thought I remembered his face and my hand moved, and he gasped, but it was short lived and the image disappeared into blackness in the blink of an eye.

____________

Dan's POV

He moved.

I shouted for the doctor and she called for her team. She asked if I wanted to stay. of course I wanted to. they started routine checkups and for a second, I thought I had a glimpse of hope, but the head doctor turned around and told me everything was exactly the same as before. Nothing had changed at all.

I eventually fall asleep in the chair next to him and I wished to never wake up. He didn't deserve any of this. He always did things to make people happy, always tried to make the best out of a situation.

Great. I'm talking about him as if he was dead.

~~~

Three days and nothing was happening. I left the hospital to try and get myself together a bit, but I constantly worried of the possibility of him waking up when I was away.

I made the head nurse promise me she'd call if there was any development but as far as I know right now, Phil might be in this coma for days, maybe even months. There's also the possibility that he will not wake up at all.

___________

A week later...

Louise stopped by the hospital to check on us both. I haven't been keeping myself at the best standard of hygiene lately which has made the hospital staff look at me weirdly a few times. The doctor says it's a 30/70 chance for Phil waking up. Odds not in his favour. I said I didn't believe in hope, but hope is the only thing I have left now.

It can't stay night forever. I want my sun back in my life. He needs to wake up to brighten up what seems to currently be eternal darkness.