C h a p t e r 7: A cellular

Start from the beginning

They were having a serious conversation. She took a step back, but her brother called her "Valencia! Come here please."

She walked towards him, feeling uncomfortable with the look the boys were giving her. She didn't have the energy to socialise anymore.

"I have some questions I need you to answer for me..." he started.

She felt that it's going to turn bad but she just nodded her head waiting for him to continue. Why would he ask me in front of his friends?

"Did the Coopers change their address and phone number? I couldn't reach out for them."

Valencia looked at him as her body muscles all tensed. She didn't know what to say or how to act. This wasn't the question she hoped for, it was exactly the question she hoped that will never be asked.

The three boys, on the other hand, were studying her expressions.

"And why are you asking me?" she answered in an annoyed tone, yet her palms were sweating.

"I tried to contact them but they didn't answer. I called your high-school to see why, but the secretary told me that your file is protected... Care to explain?" he seemed angry, frustrated for the first time in his life. A million thoughts were crossing his mind, interrupting and playing with his emotions.

Valencia's expression faltered and then faded slowly. What should I say? Oh my god, he made my file a protected one...stupid fuck... I'm seriously in big trouble... She exhaled before looking in his eyes and answered, not trusting what she was about to say.

"Why do you care? It's not like they'll easily give you any information about me! In their eyes, you may be a stalker or anyone..."

"Then why did the secretary say that your file is protected by a dangerous person? She could say that it's just illegal."

Valencia turned to see who was talking to be faced by a big figure. He looked like the most mature one in the squad in front of her. Seeing him made her heart hurts, but she didn't know why.

She grinned at him before snapping "And who the hell are you? It would be really nice if you occupied yourself with your own business."

"Actually it is one of our problems." Added another one determined.

Valencia didn't understand; who the hell are they? And how could Zack let them get into their personal life?

She can't tell him the truth. He'll be in a serious danger, same with everyone they know. She wanted to forget for a while what it means to be in trouble, what it means to sleep scared, to cry the whole night alone because you can't do it in the sunlight or around people.

How can he know that something is wrong anyway? He didn't have a lot of information nor a conclusive evidence. He was just paranoid.

Zack and his friends started protesting and talking at the same time. Valencia was getting out of control again. She started breathing heavily. Her view became so fuzzy and she couldn't concentrate on what surrounded her. Everyone around her started to disappear slowly to be replaced by some faces she hated, feared and felt disgusted by. Zack and his friends' concerned looks turned to smirks. She closed her eyes hoping that it will be over, but instead, when she opened her eyes again, she found herself on a closed cellular. She looked for a way out but she was surrounded by walls, old dirty walls. It had claw marks made by desperate people who wanted to see the light again.

It was a murky filthy room, and she was there all alone.

Valencia feared being alone in a closed dark place since she was a little girl and that didn't change. So being in that place made her startle. She started wailing, screaming and looking for help.

Zack was paralysed, he just watched his sister's face turns flat and emotionless before seeing her fall on the floor shaking as if she was freezing.

What did I do wrong? I just wanted to know what she's hiding.

He knew he overreacted, but her reaction wasn't supposed to be this bad which made him more concerned.

What the hell did she experience in the past few years? She was meant to get better, but it seems that nothing changed except the fact that she's good at hiding her feelings and lying when she's not under pressure. She seems to be destroyed, deep inside where no one can reach, she's hiding something. 

***

Old but gold ♥

FUNNY SPELLING MISTAKE: you lake instead of lack...