Chapter 38

The air raid alarm pounds our ears, it's the middle of the night, almost everyone braces for impact, but I  have to run to the hangar. I bolt out the door and run as fast as I can to the hangar, where almost everyone is already here.

"You guys run fast." I say, they laugh, we are all a little drowsy.

Eric comes in, "Okay guys, plan is simple. Hudson will have antiaircraft missiles ready. We need to find the government base, drop some bombs, and pin the area. Ground troops will then take over."

"Seems easy enough." Tristan says

"Good luck all, the communication tower is still a little shaky. So fly tight, keep tabs on each other." Eric says

We all get in a jet, I listen to the roaring of jets, and mine begins to roar, the radio has no sound coming through it, so it must be down at the moment, I wait my turn to take off.

As soon as I leave the ground, I'm greeted by enemy jets scattered in the sky, all of which are carrying some sort of weapon, I do my best to avoid getting shot down. A jet begins to follow me, I turn on the antiaircraft machine gun, and I listen to the buzz of the gun. I look behind me and see the jet with a dead pilot, beginning to fall out of the sky, his face etches into my mind.

He's an enemy, he's not a human. He worked for the wrong side.

But what if he was forced to?

Enough! He worked for the wrong side, end of story.

I see Eric right next to me, he signals for me to follow them, I catch up to the crowd of jets. All the sudden, I hear multiple quiet voices through the radio.

"Is it up?" I ask

"Their base is on the base of the mountain!" Someone shouts

"Which one?"

"White Butte!"

I look in my GPS, I don't see a White Butte, but lucky for me, there's a search bar, I say "White Butte." It finds the mountain, and I begin making my way there. It's a ten minute flight, everyone begins to follow me. I look around me, it feels like home, wispy clouds and a deep blue sky overhead. Sometimes, I wish that life was normal, back when I would go to work with Trinity and Michael. When dad or mom would wake me up. There's no such thing as normal, or if there is, it's not the one I'm accustomed to.

We finally make it to the base of the mountain, which isn't that tall. The ones at home are much taller.

I dip down for a dive bomb, I successfully land one, but a few behind me aren't as lucky, we bomb the propped up hangar.

"Ground troops are on the way, get out of there guys, their antiaircraft weaponry is much better than ours." Someone says

I end up being the tail of the group, when I feel something hit hard on the back of the jet, I fly forward. My HUD flashes red on the engine part of the rendered image of the jet, the weird thing is, I never got a warning.

"I'm hit!" I yell, but no one hears me, the engine shuts off, and I have to brace for impact. The landing gears refuse to go down, and I'm nearly falling out of the sky, I pull up on the yoke stick as much as possible, it levels out the jet, I'm about to crash land in a grassy field, so it won't be too bad. An alarm screeches, warning me of the imminent danger. I try to lift the jet, but it doesn't work. The ground get closer and closer to me.