Chapter One

A/N: Hey guys, I am back! This is another short story of mine. It will contain some chapters, probably less than ten but I am sure that you'll enjoy it, I hope so. I want to thank my cousin for helping me in making this story better.

I have not yet decided my updating dates, I may upload once or twice a week, depending on when I am free. I am very excited for this as I think it is one of my most organized story. I would like your support through comments and votes, so please don't be a silent reader and increase my morale.

Happy Reading :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brandon's POV

Here at the station, standing in the rain,

Lost in my train of thought

Looking around for a better time again,

But yesterday ain’t running on this track

Gravity by Poets of the fall blasted through the radio as I drove on the snow laden road at one in the morning. I did not understand why my brother chose February to get married. How anyone could appreciate this cold, wet and white weather. As much as I wanted to speed up and get to my comfy bed and sleep like a log, I couldn't rush 'cuz the damn snow was hindering my speed.

Just what I needed.

I was as tired as a dog- juggling between work and wedding preparations took every bit of my energy and today I would be finally sleeping for more than three hours which I have been doing since the last month. Let me tell you, being a best man ain't an easy task.

First, for months you put up with the bride-to-be and the bridesmaids, trying to understand their chatter and putting up with their mood swings. Then you have to organize the 'Bachelor party of the decade' and make sure that the groom doesn't get drunk and piss off the Bride-to-be, ensure that everything is in place a day before the wedding, stay up the night to prepare a corny speech for the toast, calm down the bride who's nervous about the preparations and the groom who was nervous thinking about he would be left at the altar, entertain the guests at the reception and dance with the bridesmaids. Whew! Just thinking about all of that was giving me a goddamn headache. Man, I was tired.

I looked ahead into the vast expanse of snow.

Why did God invent fucking snow? And why on Earth aren't the roads clean?

As much as I loved the song that was currently playing, I was lost in my thoughts. Today, at a terribly young age of 24, Stephen, my brother got married to his childhood sweetheart. Jane was literally 'the girl next door' and I used to pretend that someone was gagging me whenever I saw Stephen and Jane giving each other lovey-dovey looks. I thought that they wouldn't work but I was proved wrong as they decided to get married just after graduating from college.

Seeing him and my family happy, made me smile. Every bit of effort I put in for my brother paid off when I saw him and Jane having their first dance, my mother crying over how happy she was to see her youngest child getting married, even seeing dad get a little emotional during the toast. What I didn't appreciate were the queries over the last few days about how I felt as my kid brother was getting married before me and when I was going to find a girl. I am only 26 for crying out loud! I am young and in absolutely no hurry to settle down anytime soon.

Suddenly, a screeching sound snapped me out of my thoughts. At the intersection in front of me, a car steered to the right, trying to avoid being hit by the truck skidding towards it.It looked as if the truck had hit a rough patch of ice and lost control. It seemed to happen in slow motion. The truck rammed into the car, pushing it back a few feet with a dull sound of metal grazing. I wanted to cover my ears and eyes, but couldn't even blink my eyes. The car finally lurched to a stop, mangled up. It was very hard to determine if anyone inside the car was moving or not.

"Shit" I murmured, unable to process what I had just witnessed.

There was a sudden stillness around me. Not even a bird could be heard chirping. Shaking my head to clear the haze seeing the accident had put me in; I hit the gas pedal, making my way to the intersection. I quickly got out of the car and went towards the badly hit car. Through the window I could see a woman whose head was resting on the cracked window, bloodied due to a wound in her head. That sight made me sick to my stomach, but I couldn't do anything.

I made my way to the driver's side and found out that the door was unlocked. Oh God! What should I do now? I was about to open the door to check her pulse, I smelled gas.

The car could explode anytime; I need to take her out of the car soon. But how? What if she has some serious internal injuries?

I decided to support her back on my chest and dragged her through the collar of the coat she was wearing to avoid any damage to the bones, if any. I saw sparks forming from the bottom of the car, so I increased my pace and took her away from the car. The moment I lay her down on the snow, I heard an explosion and covered her body with mine. Meanwhile, a piece of metal from the car flew and got stuck on my arm.

I hissed in pain but at the moment my concern was the woman.

Was she even alive? Putting a hand to the vein in her neck, I gulped as I struggled to find a pulse.

Found it

I took out my handkerchief and pressed it tightly against the side of the head to slow the blood flow. The truck's door opened and a shaken up man made his way towards the now crippled Volvo.

"Shit, fuck, damn, oh god! I stopped; I swear I pressed the damn brakes but this fucking snow..." The man said while holding his head with both his hands. He was hysterical and looking like as if he was going to pass out anytime.

"How bad is it? I didn't kill her, did I? Fuck! I killed her. I am a murderer" He pulled at his hair.

"Calm down. We don't have time for you to freak out right now. I can only detect a faint pulse and the head wound wouldn't stop bleeding. Call 911, I left my phone in the car." He nodded and shakily dialed the number.

I could feel myself shaking. The cold and the sight of the accident weren't helping. The blood wasn't stopping and I could feel her light breaths on my arm. To check for any more serious injuries, I moved the hair which was sticking on the face due to the blood, trying not to jostle her too much in case of any internal injuries. The moment I pulled her hair back, my breath was caught in my throat and I could feel my heart pounding in my ears.

"Damnit. Evans?"

Before I could react or even start to wrap my head around what was happening, I heard the ambulance rapidly approaching us, making its way to the girl from my past, one I'd never forgotten, the girl who used to hate me.

Probably still did...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope you liked the first chapter. Please comment and vote.