Chapter 5

We make camp against the wall of one of the taller parts of the building. At least it will shield us a little from the cold winds. We huddle together and get a little sleep. Although we made sure there was someone keeping watch the whole night, no one felt safe. We are so exposed up here. In the end I reckon I managed to get a few hours sleep. We all got up when the sun rose, knowing there was no chance of getting anymore sleep and not wanting to waste the light. During the night I didn't see any lights on in the nearby houses. I heard nothing but the occasional groan of the dead below us. It was like the whole world had gone silent.

We decided that today we were going to find some things to keep us warm and some backpacks.

As we looked for a window to jump down I hung to the back of the group. I kept asking myself the same questions over and over again. How did the dead get in the school? What caused Virus X? Could it be stopped? Is my family safe? I keep worrying about that last one the most, wondering if they got evacuated and are worrying about me or if the police didn't get to them in time...

We reach a window that should lead straight into my English class room, we'll pick up our bags and grab anything we can use. Peering through the window I can't see any movement but that doesn't mean that there's nothing in there.

Ruby swings her bats down smashing the glass. There's still no sign of anything in there. With her bat armed Ruby jumps down. She runs off out of sight but returns quickly, motioning us to come down.

Chris and I jump down, armed with a knife and a bat, while Melody and Matt stay up on the roof. The room looks nearly the same as when we left apart from one horrible detail. A trail of blood. I follow the trail from the closed door around the tables to the window by my seat which I had opened earlier. Then it hits me. I opened the window. Rushing over to the window I see chunks of flesh which had been caught in the edges. I let the dead in. I doomed the whole school. I caused nearly everyone's death in this school. It's my fault that that boy had to die saving us.

I stare at the open window. Sinking to my knees I hold my head in my hands. "Let's start looking, just give her a minute." I hear Ruby say behind me; clearly they've worked it out as well. It was all my fault.

I sit still for a few minutes as they search bags and gather coats. I don't think I could do that. I knew the people that owned those things. Only yesterday were they buzzing with life wearing those coats, and now they are probably dead.

I reach for my bag which was under my desk. I chuck out all the now useless books and find my phone. Taking off the case I find the picture of my family and friends. I used to keep it there so if I lost my phone someone could get it back to me. It has my contact details on the back. Now I'm just grateful to have a picture of them.

The picture is of my last birthday, me, Chris, Ruby, Melody and my parents stand by the sea at beach. It's one of those silly photos that makes you cringe but you love really because it makes you think of the happy memory. I smile at the photo, not long after this was taken I was pushed into the freezing sea by Chris. I was so mad at him at the time, although I got my own back by then pulling him in with me.

As I go to put my phone away I accidently hit the unlock button. Surprisingly my phone turns on. It's at 30% battery. I look at my phone confused; it says I have a new text message. How is that possible? I tap on the messages app, it's a text from my mum yesterday morning that I didn't see. As I read it my eyes start to well up, it says, "Hi honey! Sorry I didn't get to see you off for school, I hope you have a good day and I'll see you when you come home x" I silently wipe my eyes, I don't even know if my mums still alive. I turn my phone off to try and conserve battery. I don't know why, it's pretty useless now. I put it in the inside pocket of my bag anyway. I put my bag on my back and stand up, making sure to wipe away any evidence that I was crying.