Chapter Three

Chapter Three

I toyed with the paper ball in my hands, fiddling for a way to open it without ripping it to shreds. I tugged on the sides but it was just so tightly scrunched. I felt my own face scrunch up in concentration. Unattractively of course. It would have taken a lot of strength just to be able to squash it this tight.

“Miss Jones, I suggest you put that away until the end of class please.” My head shot up to the secretary as she lowered her head and gave me a careful look, which was spoiled by her smile lines and kind eyes. I nodded, dropping the ball onto my lap.

“Alright then, now let’s look at the meaning.” I zoned out once again.

It didn’t take long for the substitute to turn her back on the class and begin to scribble on the board. Quickly I unraveled the note, careful not to be caught again. I flattened the paper out as much as possible and squinted to see the words through the crinkles and cracks.

Might want to avoid dandruff Davey. It read. With a bold, outlined arrow pointing to my right. I raised my head and watched as the boy beside my clawed at his scalp, and swung his head from side to side. I raised an eyebrow and looked back at the class. No one was watching me but as I checked a few spared glances, a chirpy blonde smiled displaying a set of sparkling teeth in a smile that stretched across her rosy cheeks. I smiled back, pathetically.

I looked back at the note and unfolded the bottom half.

Things could get messy.

I gave a short accidental laugh, and all heads turned to me. Most were looks of confusion, some of boredom but one person stood out. She was smirking, tapping a pen back and forth on the desk. She had cropped blonde hair, shuffled and choppy, decorated in random black streaks. I smiled apologetically to the class and the secretary. The class continued, but I didn’t bother listening. My mind was doing forward flips. I had woken up this morning completely prepared and ready for the day. I knew what to expect. Or at least I thought I knew what to expect, but since I got here everyone has seemed so… nice. There has not been one piece of abuse or hatred thrown towards me, and I feel completely caught off guard. And I don’t like it.

I’m a planner. I always have been, my guess is that I inherited it from my mother. My dad is pretty spontaneous on his decisions. Like waking up one day and deciding to move to a place in the middle of know where called Crescentwood.

The bell rang. It sounded off, more like a recording of a bell ringing, not the real thing. The class was dismissed and as I rose from my chair there was a tap on my back. I pulled the strap of my bag over my shoulder, and turned to face the cropped, blonde girl whom I suspect passed the note.

“Hey, you survived.” She commented, tugging on her cropped black blazer.

I nodded, a smile playing at my lips. Double meanings.

“I’m Steph.” She nodded and a sort of knowing looked filled her face and her smile was, in a strange way, kind. Steph’s hand was held out to me, and I boldly shook it.

“Josie.” I returned.

“I know.” She smirked once more, before moving around the desks and out of class, she motioned for me to follow and I obeyed. Once in the now busy hallway, there was nowhere to look without meeting curious eyes. I followed Steph, who like me walked with a more confident attitude. I held my head high and avoided most gazes. Steph looked at me now and then approvingly. It was only then I actually took in the girl. She wore skinny, black jeans paired with a cut up, dark grey Ramones t-shirt. Her thick scuffed, army styled boots were worn loose and casual. The last thing I could really document, looks wise about this girl was that the majority of space on her arms was filled with bracelets and bands. She was the type of girl you would never find in Grayson.