(Chapter 4: Partners) Katie's POV

Katie looks at the case file for Stacy and sighs for the umpteenth time as she lays her head on her desk, exasperated about the entire thing. Katie knew that something was not adding up, and until she figured that part out; she couldn't solve the case. She looks up to see her boss, Sergeant Billings, and a man holding a manila folder in his hand standing beside him. Katie quickly got up from the chair standing at full attention.

"Childress, I would like for you to meet Aaron Andrews. He is a forensic scientist from the Gallatin County Police Department. Aaron was going through a few case files, and he noticed that some of the murders that have happened there are similar to what has happened in the Jenkins case. He contacted us, and I believe that it would be a great idea for you two to team up. Therefore, here is your new partner."

Aaron reached out his hand for Katie to shake. "It's nice to meet you. It would be a pleasure in working with you."

Katie stared at his hand for a moment and then glanced at Aaron and then shook his hand firmly.

"Nice to meet you as well," Katie replied.

"I believe that the two of you are going to do well together. Childress is a great detective, and I'm sure that both of your skills will help us find this scum. Now, get to work," Sergeant Billings suggested before leaving.

"I was reviewing the case files on the Jenkins case, and there's something that doesn't make sense," Katie said looking over the case files.

Aaron opened his manila folder and found the paper that he was looking for. "Maybe this will help," he said while passing it to her. Katie placed the files down on her desk, and she perused over the information.

"These are the cases of people who were killed the same way as Stacy Jenkins. These murders happened a few days apart from each other, but there don't seem to be a pattern between the victims," Aaron remarked.

The phone rang, causing Katie to pause what she was doing. She answered the phone and listened to the caller. A short while later, she hung up the phone and grabbed her coat off the back of her chair.

"Alright Andrews, we got a job to do. Another man has been killed: Bradley Pickering."

"Alright, let's go."