(Chapter 3: Interrogation) Damien's POV

Damien woke up the next morning with a killer hangover. He was a bit confused, as he took in his surroundings. Memories flowed in slowly, as he thought about what happened yesterday, about what he had done. Letting his mind dwell on the guilt and thoughts about what he was going to do, his cell phone started ringing. He looked at the caller ID: Stacy's mom. Taking a deep breath, he answered.

"Hello?"

"Oh! Damien!" Her sobs wrenched through his soul, knowing that he was the cause.

"Calm down, Mrs. Jenkins. What's wrong?"

"She's dead! My daughter is dead!"

"What?"

"Yes! She's gone. The police want to question us."

"Okay, I'm gonna head over there soon."

"Bye."

Damien rubs his face tiredly. He gets off of the couch slowly, feeling the aches in his bones from sleeping on Bird's couch. He lazily walked into the bathroom looking in the mirror. He looked stressed, and his eyes were red. His brown hair was disheveled, as if it was proof of the guilt he was warring with inside. He sighs and leaves out of the bathroom to go to his brother's room and goes into his drawers trying to find a change of clothes.

"What are you doing?" Bird sat up looking at his brother sleepily and irritated that he woke him up. He didn't have to go to work today, and he was going to enjoy the day off and not allow his brother to ruin it.

"Good morning, Bird. I was just getting a change of clothes so I can get ready to go to the police station."

"Okay then. Remember what I told you yesterday. Don't do anything stupid."

"Hey, don't you forget. We have a deal." Damien said pointing at Bird.

"Yeah, I know. Don't worry. I'll make sure that everything works out, and you just make sure that you don't screw anything up."

"Yeah, you better, and I won't," Damien said as he walked into the bathroom and closed the door.

Thirty minutes later, Damien arrived at the Jubirea Police Station. He stared at the building, as he sat in his truck. He just had to be calm, and do what Bird told him. Taking a deep breath, he got out of his truck and headed inside. He talked to the receptionist and identified himself. A police officer escorted him to the interrogation room. There was already a woman officer there who was leaning on the wall with her arms folded.

She motioned for him to sit in the opposite chair, rising from the wall. She pushed up her black square frames as she sat down taking in the man who sat across from her.

"Your name is Damien Henderson?"

"Yes, that is correct."

"My name is Detective Katie Childress, and I'm going to ask you some questions. Stacy Jenkins was your girlfriend?"

"Yep, we were together for four years."

"Four years is a long time. Did you all have any problems?"

"We didn't really have any problems. We argued every once in a while, but what couple doesn't?"

"What were some of the things that you all argued about?"

"It was just small stuff like spending too much money on unnecessary stuff, or if I didn't wash the dishes or something like that."

"So you've never had an intense argument?"

"No, Stacy and I understood each other well. We didn't have a lot of problems. A lot of people referred to us as the 'perfect couple'."

"Oh really? When I was scanning over Stacy's body, I noticed she had a bruise on her left cheek. Do you know how she got that?"

"No."

"The bruise had happened that night, so that means that there was an altercation. Are you saying that you weren't at the apartment?"

"I went there yes, but I left."

"Was Stacy there while you were at home?"

"Yeah."

"Did you converse with Stacy before leaving?"

"We talked for a while."

"What did you talk about?"

"Nothing, usual stuff."

"Like what?"

"Like, how was each other's day. Stuff like that," Damien shrugged.

"You said that you left the apartment, so where did you go?"

"I went for a couple of drinks."

"Where?"

"At the Hangover."

Katie stared at Damien for a brief moment. "Mr. Henderson, do you know of someone named Chandler Rubustski?"

"No, I don't."

"Perhaps you have seen him but did not know his name." Katie pulls out a photograph of Chandler and sets it on the desk. "Looks familiar?"

"No, I don't know this guy."

"Stacy has never mentioned this person to you?"

"No, why would she?"

"We have done some research, and we have found out that she and Chandler actually worked together. We found her cellphone, and it has shown that she has had many phone calls and explicit text messages to this gentleman."

Damien looked coldly at Katie. "What are you trying to say?"

"Maybe Katie was having an affair with Chandler and she was planning on leaving you-"

"How dare you?" Damien asked as he roughly got up and banged the table with his fists.

"Why are you getting upset?"

"Because you're telling me this nonsense about my dead girlfriend, and I don't have time for this foolishness. If there is nothing else that you want to discuss, then I'm leaving; and if you want to talk to me, you're gonna have to talk to my lawyer."