«chapter twenty-six: the truth comes out»

Start from the beginning

'Recognize: Catgirl-B26'

When I walk through, I notice that some of the team is here, but most must still be sleeping. I'm all honesty, I wish I was sleeping too. But I didn't want to put this off any longer than I had to, and I am pretty sure Nightwing and Aqualad would hunt me down if I missed one of my therapy sessions.

It was harder to ignore the circus moments that I cared to admit, especially the ones between Nightwing and I. Then I remember last night and get so pissed and confused that I don't know what to think or do.

This is why I'm not dealing with that until later after the first problem is resolved because then I can reassess where I stand with everyone on the team.

I avoid any eye contact with anyone and walk to the therapy room, opening the door to find Canary ready like always, sitting in her chair.

She turns and smiles," Good morning, Brooke."

I smile at her using my nickname and say, "Morning," before sitting down in my chair.

We fall into silence for a few moments before she asks, "Is everything alright? With Rogue, I mean. As much as I would like to keep this secret, I can't lie to the League, and team, forever." She sighs and looks me in the eyes.

"I know," I sigh, "And I appreciate you keeping my secret. I have an idea. She will be gone today. I promise."

She relaxes at this and sits back in her chair, and it's almost as if we are just having a normal friendly conversation. "So, how is the team? Have you talked to anyone about it?"

"Good." I say, "Conner and M'gann found out I wasn't lying a few days ago because we were soaring and she broke open my old wound."

"She hurt you?" She asks, her expression going hard for a moment.

"Yes," I nod, "But I got it all fixed up, and it's almost healed now, just a little sore and red from the last mission I went on, but the cream my friend gave me has helped a lot."

She nods for a moment before saying, "Good. Nightwing told me that you left practice early and he told me about your circus mission."

I roll my eyes at the fact he told her I left practice early, " I just left a few minutes early. Conner made me because I needed someone to stitch it back up and I didn't want him to tell Nightwing."

She raised an eyebrow, "Why didn't you tell Nightwing?"

"Because he doesn't know and I didn't even want Conner to know or M'gann. And he barely even trusts me." I shrug, "These past few days at the circus helped a little though."

"I heard you two had to play husband and wife, Will called me about it laughing on the first day." She says, amusement on her face.

I roll my eyes but smile, "It was more enjoyable as an observer I'm sure, but we made it work."

She nods, "Nightwing said he thought you two had reached some sort of understanding while there. He said he finally got you to trust him and the rest of them when you had to pretend to be a trapeze artist."

"Yeah... I was actually pretty nervous about that because it meant I had to depend on him to catch me." I thought about how he pulled me up on the perch last night when I almost missed, how he was worried for me before saying, "I still do trust him and the others to keep me alive. It just sort of... it's just hard to trust someone when they don't trust you back."

She nods in understanding. "He also told me about the incident last night which I am sure pissed you off."

"Yeah, royally so." I say crossing my arms, "I thought after everything we had- I thought that he would at least stop and try to pick my side. I even did when she first got on the team. I just thought he would at least look into it more. I guess I was wrong."