chapter 1 | T H E F I G H T

Start from the beginning

Percy slid to his knees beside Annabeth, skidding in her blood.
She looked up at him, her face pale but full of love as she stared at her boyfriend.
"I love you, Percy," she said faintly, her eyes drifting away from his face, staring at something only she could see.
"I love you too, Annabeth. Please don't leave me," he whispered desperately.
But Annabeth was already gone, the tornadoes in her eyes stilled and dulled forever.
Percy stood up, emitting a scream of rage and grief that seemed to shake the earth itself.
Gaea noticeably paled, backing up as Percy approached her.
Wind stirred into a fury as it began to rain, and a mini-hurricane swirled around the grief-stricken demigod.
"Now, let's not be hasty, Sea-Spawn," she said hesitantly.
"Hasty? I'm not being hasty. I'm getting revenge. You killed her. You killed them all. Now it's your turn to die," he responded in cold, emotionless tones.
He slashed forward, Riptide a mere glowing arc as he twisted and stabbed and spun. He was a whirlwind of destruction, made stronger by his fury and grief.
Gaea desperately tried to avoid his blows, but he struck her through the heart.
"Foolish child! You think that's enough to defeat me?" She cackled.
"No. But this is." He growled at her.
Water swirled around Gaea, lifting her into the air. The water condensed and hardened into ice as Percy forced it to squeeze Gaea tighter and tighter.
"Now!" Percy shouted to the gods.
Poseidon raced over in his chariot, pulled by two hippocampus that swam on their own portable wave.
He rose into the air and stuck his trident right through Gaea's head. A gruesome, bloody death, but a vengeful one.
Gaea screamed and shattered into earth and ichor, hopefully vanishing for at least the next thousand years.
The monsters stood frozen for a moment before Kronos {he is there in spirit, I suppose} called an order.
"Retreat! Retreat you fools!" He screamed. Yes, the Titan of Time screamed. "Back to Tartarus!"
The monsters panicked and raced for the ominous Doors of Death, vanishing into the inky blackness of Hell.
The demigods and gods stepped back to let them past, exhaustion and grief clear on their faces.
Dead and dying demigods littered the ground, covered in blood and monster dust.
Medics struggled through the crowds of those who could stand and ran to those that lie on the ground. Many of them simply stood up, shook their heads, and moved on.

---- line break? can somebody explain the point of these to me? ----

Percy stood by himself. The hero was covered in blood and monster dust, and breathed heavily as though he would never catch his breath again.
His normally tan skin was pale as ash, and, below his shredded T-shirt, new scars could be seen by the dozens.
He and Annabeth had just emerged from Tartarus. They had spent weeks in the hell-hole, being tortured and gods know what else. They had escaped only in time to help in the battle against the giants.
Zeus, along with the other Olympians, approached Percy cautiously.
"Perceus?" Poseidon asked hesitantly, walking towards his son.
Percy turned around slowly. Blood dripped from large gashes torn into his sides and abdomen, and his right leg was twisted to the side at an unnatural angle. But his eyes were what haunted those that saw them.
Something was fractured in them. Rage and grief were the prevailing emotions, though utter, devastating, unimaginable grief shone through. The laughter and happiness that always seemed present, even in his darkest moments, had vanished.
Percy had gone to a dark place, and it would be a long time, if ever, before he could be rescued.
Suddenly, he crumpled to the ground, into a pool of his own blood. An agonized gasp came from him as tears began to pour down his face.
An Apollo camper rushed over, along with Percy's only remaining cousins,  Thalia and Nico.
"Percy!" She screamed when she saw him, falling to her knees beside him, as did the Apollo camper.
Thalia herself was free of wounds, as the hunters had only just arrived at the end of the battle. They had been waylaid by various monsters on the way to the Ancient Land.
"His wounds are severe. And poisoned." The Apollo camper stated seriously.
"I'll take him to the infirmary," Chiron offered as he galloped over, kneeling so that Percy could be loaded onto his back, along with Thalia, who would keep Percy in place.
"Inform us when he wakes," Zeus commanded in a thunderous voice.
Chiron nodded his agreement and cantered off, the severely injured demigod and the Hunter of Artemis on his back.
Nico instantly vanished into the shadows, following his cousins.

--

Percy awoke to a burning pain in his right leg. He let out a tortured scream as the sink to his right exploded, flinging metal and water into the air.
His eyes flickered open and he spotted several medics near his leg.
Two held it steady while a third was setting it and a fourth was fitting a cast.
Well, they had been, but now they were ducking for cover as metal and water sprayed throughout the room.
"Sorry, Percy. We waited for as long as we could, but we couldn't wait to set the leg any longer, or it wouldn't heal. For some reason, nectar and ambrosia wouldn't heal it." The one fitting the cast, who seemed to be the leader of the group, explained.
He nodded and tried to sit up, falling back with a gasp as the wounds on his sides and abdomen stretched.
"Don't move, Kelp-Head!" Said a voice to his left.
Turning his head painfully towards the voice, he saw Thalia, who sat by his bedside.
"Yeah, Fish-Face. Wouldn't want to loose you now," another voice said. Nico.
"Thalia? Nico?" He asked, surprised at how thin and hoarse his voice was.
"Hey, Percy," they responded, smiling weakly.
"Annabeth?" He asked, his eyes boring deep into his cousins'.
They looked away, eyes filling with tears. That was all the answer Percy needed.
Percy closed his eyes tightly. "I had hoped I was wrong," he said quietly.
The pain in his leg and wounds were nothing compared to the pain in his heart.
"Everybody else?" He asked in that same calm, quiet, sad tone that set the two  on edge.
"None of the Seven made it," she responded, her voice cracking.

He simply nodded, keeping his eyes closed.
Even when the Apollo campers jerked his leg back into position, he merely winced, whereas most would scream.
"That's done. Your other wounds'll have to heal the normal way," the head Child of Apollo explained. "There was poison on the blades that hit you, and nectar and ambrosia can only do so much."
Again, he only nodded.
"Chiron's coming to see you," was the last thing the medic said before he left the room.

MEDIC POV
"Be careful, Chiron. He's still weak, and there's no way he's emotionally stable right now."
He paused and added, "We didn't tell him about Sally and Paul. We figured he wouldn't be able to take it."
"I see," the centaur replied sadly. "Thank you, my boy. You may go."
With a slight bow in the half-horse man's direction, he walked off to tend to the other injured campers.

----
A/N -
So first chapter! How was it? Not too bad? Drop dead awful?

DISCLAIMER - I don't own Percy Jackson, 'cause I'm definitely not a 40+ year old man living in Texas or whatever.
And I don't own Marvel, duh. I'm not smart enough to think up superheroes, for Pete's sake.

{date published - 4/20/16}

{final word count [including author's note] - 2,071}