Chapter 10

Empty eyes. White hair. The tightening of grips on weapons. An eerie silence.

These are the things that welcome me into the compound. The people stand off to the side. Most pause their work to watch me pass. There are no children which is strange even for a vampire clan.

Despite the fact that it is possible for vampires to give birth, there are not many births in a half a decade. Vampires are fertile, but the likelihood of one getting pregnant is very slim. It isn't uncommon for a couple to wait a century for the birth of their firstborn.

There's not even an adolescent in the compound, it seems.

I meet the gazes of many of the people we pass, but I soon get bored. So, I turn my gaze straight ahead as we continue our walk through the compound.

We stop at an old looking building and the other vampire opens the door before gesturing for me to walk in. I comply without a word. The inside looks just as old as the outside. There's a large Roden family crest on the wall. This only proves my suspensions true.

This building is meant for the king. If there was an attack on the palace, this place is where the king would be brought. Given that he is of the same bloodline, of course.

We walk to the throne room and when the other vampire opens the doors, I can't help but scoff. On the old throne sits Francis, an old advisor who would have forcibly taken the crown if it weren't for his inability to speak.

When he was a young advisor, it's said he tried to get the better of the king of that time. And instead of being made king, he was defeated. The king of the time must've been a sadistic f*ck, because instead of killing him like most would, the king cut out his tongue and made sure he would live to experience life without it.

Now Francis is a bitter, cruel individual. And overall my favorite person to prank as a kid.

"I thought there was more than one elder." I state, glancing at the other vampire. He shrugs.

"There are. But they aren't very important. What Francis says goes." He says, nodding at the old man.

I meet the old man's eyes with distaste. Francis turns to the other vampire and begins to sign. Who's this? Why did you bring him here?

"He's with the Rebels," the vampire responds. Francis' frown deepens.

I thought I told you the Rebels were no longer allowed with the compound. The vampire shifts nervously.

"You only said you didn't like them. You never said to not allow them access." The vampire replies nervously. Francis glares at him.

Get this b*stard out of my sight before I decide to punish you for your insolence. The words are calmly signed, but the fury in his eyes is hard to miss. The vampire tries to grab my arm to pull me out of the room, but I don't budge.

"Still using empty threats, I see." I observe aloud. Francis gives me a questioning look. He must not be used to coming across people who know sign language.

You can understand me, rebel? Now it's my turn to roll my eyes.

"Yes, you chubby fool. I can understand you perfectly well." I say. And I suppose my bluntness threw the vampire still attempting to pull me away off because he pauses his efforts.

Francis doesn't respond right away, as if he couldn't, for the life of him, imagine anyone insulting him. Then a predatory glint flashes in his irises. I don't know who you are, or why you thought you could get away with making such a comment. But, that comment is going to cost you your life.

I grin. "I doubt it." Anger flares in Francis' eyes and I silently wonder what happened to his training to keep a neutral expression at all times.

Chain him to the whipping post. I want to break him myself. I roll my eyes. When the vampire on my arm tries to tug me away, I shove him away roughly.

"Do you still not remember me, old man?" I ask, crossing my arms. Francis glares at me, but otherwise doesn't respond.

"Come on, Francenstein. I haven't got all day." I urge. At the old nickname Francis perks up. Surprise fills his features. He seems a bit hesitant as he signs,

Red?

"Finally!" I exaggerate. Francis looks shocked.

We all thought you were dead.

"Not all of you," I state. "Only the ones who mattered knew." Francis must be very startled, because he doesn't even appear bothered by my indirect insult.

Have you come back to reclaim your title? He asks.

"Here, or as king?" This response seems to make the quiet vampire in the room suddenly interested.

"You mean you're the Lost King?" He asks, eyes widened. I glance at him and shrug.

"More likely than not," I answer before turning back to Francis expectantly.

Both.

"I don't want to be king, so no. That isn't my reason for returning. I also don't want to be the leader of this bloodline, so that isn't my reason for returning either--"

Then what is your reason?

"I was getting to that. Stop being impatient." I scold and Francis scowls. Ignoring him, I continue. "I came back because Leön, the rebel leader if you were unaware, asked me to ask other Purebloods if they would be willing to join his cause." I finish.

His cause?

"I don't care what happens with Rolan. I only joined because I owe it to Leön." I explain vaguely.

You can have ten people if you can manage to convince them to join you. I shrug.

"Alright." I agree. That's the most civil exchange I've ever had with Francis.

If you take more than ten, I'll make sure you regret it. I chuckle. That's better.

"Whatever you say, old man." I respond before leaving the hall.

Ten bored enough Purebloods aren't very hard to find. Even the vampire who brought me into the compound decided to join. And I learned his name is Evan.

I'm leaving the compound when a voice yells for me to stop. Curious, I comply with their wishes and I'm suddenly surrounded in someone's embrace. I automatically tense, but in seconds I relax and hug them back. She pulls back after a while.

"Heard you were back. I thought they were lying." She says, her light blue eyes twinkling.

"Well, you're right on time. I'm about to go." I tell her, glancing at the Purebloods studying our interaction. My sister, Kyra, waves then off.

"Don't worry about it. I'm going with you." She states as if that was obvious. Francis' words run through my mind for a second before I smile.

"Alright," I nod to the rest of the Purebloods. "Follow me."