Chapter 9

If this girl doesn't leave me alone, there will be one less recruit around here.

"-but Jason was never one to listen to anyone really." She says. I exhale heavily as I scan the room for anyone who might tell Leön when I get this girl to stop talking. Unfortunately, several people are watching our one sided conversation. I grit my teeth in annoyance. "-We were close, but he still refused to listen when-"

I whirl around suddenly. Shiloh immediately falls silent in surprise. Glaring at her, I say, "I don't care if you follow me around, but be quiet." Shiloh doesn't respond. Thinking the conversation to be over, I start to walk away from the now quiet female.

"But," she says, making me groan in disappointment. Why can't she just stop talking? "I haven't finished my story yet."

"There is no 'yet'. You're not finishing that story." I tell her, not bothering to look at her. I hear her huff indignantly.

"You're not the boss of me. So as I was saying-" Hissing softly at her disregard to my thoughts pertaining to her story, I look around for anything I could use to shut her up. I spot a cloth napkins on the table in the corner and smirk. That'll be a sufficient gag.

"Red!" I turn to the new voice with narrowed eyes. The turned stops just out of my reach. He gives me a wary look before continuing. "Leön needs you in his office."

I sigh. "Of course he does," I mutter. Waving the messenger off, I give Shiloh a parting glare before dragging myself to Leön's office.

I open the door and step in before closing the door quietly behind me. I scan the room silently. The Alpha sits in front of the desk in one of the two chairs available, and his Beta sits in the other. Leön sits in his chair. His chin rests on his folded hands and his elbows rest on his desktop. He meets my eyes and the side of his mouth lifts in a mischievous smirk.

Cautious now; I tilt my head a little. "What do you want Leön?" I ask, not attempting to hide my displeasure in being summoned. Unsurprisingly, Leön ignores this and simply grins.

"Two things," Leön replies. "First, I want to inform you that, in the rewriting of the peace treaty, one of the new conditions is that Alpha Roman is able to visit our land given that he gives us a day's notice," Leön explains.

I exhale a bit more heavily than usual. Of course they changed it. Rolling my eyes, I impatiently gesture for Leön to continue.

"And second," Leön says, "I need you to pay a visit to your family." It takes me a nanosecond to realize he means my bloodline.

"No," I say before turning back to the door.

"Wait," Leön says and I pause. "Hear me out first." I heave a sigh, knowing I had to stay and listen to this ridiculous idea.

I turn around and lean my back against the door. Leön hesitates. "I'm waiting." Leön gives me a pointed look. The side of my mouth lifts a little in a smirk.

"Well," Leön draws out. I roll my eyes, giving Leön an unamused look. Leön chuckles. "You know how we were told most of the bloodlines were destroyed by Rolan?" I nod, silently urging Leön to get to his point.

"Turns out," Leön says, "Rolan has quite a few Purebloods on his side." I frown, tense.

"How many? What line?" I fire off immediately. Leön pauses in thought.

"Four. All from his own line, Maltorx." He replies. I sigh.

"Of course," I murmur. "So you want me to go and ask the family if they'd join us?" I conclude. Leön nods.

"Yes," Leön confirms. "So will you?"

I hesitate, but end up agreeing anyway despite my unwillingness towards the very thought of seeing those people again after so long. Leön grins. "Knew you'd agree."

I roll my eyes. "And I knew you were an a*s, but that doesn't mean I have to point it out; now does it?" I tease before using my vampiric speed to leave the house and start the otherwise long journey to my bloodline's secret place of refuge.

I slow to a stop a few yards from the entrance. Instead of keeping my head low to avoid the attention of the gaurds posted around the perimeter of the hideout, I saunter out of the woods and into the clearing with my head held high.

In no more than thirty seconds, I'm tackled to the ground, but I don't put up a fight as my attacker binds my hands behind my back.

Leaning on me further to keep me pinned to the ground, my attacker hisses angrily, "Who are you?"

"All will be explained once you take me to the elders," I reply calmly.

"And why would I do that?" My attacker asks.

"Because I'm unarmed and come with news from the rebel forces." My attacker doesn't reply right away, but I don't have to wait long until I get my answer.

They jerk me to my feet and my first thought is to straighten my posture. Wouldn't want them to mistake tolerance for their safety measures for submission.

"Separate your feet," the vampire, who I recognize to be my attacker, instructs. I do as asked and he nods to his comrade behind me. The other vampire starts to Pat me down and I lock gazes with my attacker.

He has short white hair that falls over his dull blue eyes. He wears an emotionless mask much like my own. The only difference is mine is impenetrable due to my centuries of experience while I can see fear in his eyes when I look close enough.

The other vampire finishes the pat down and soon enough my attacker starts to lead me closer to the compound.

"The elders have refused to get involved with the rebellion after Rolan almost defeated us completely," he mutters to me, "so good luck."

"I don't believe in luck."