Chapter 8

Waking up has never been my favorite part of the day.

And that's not only because of the wake up calls Alexus tended to have ready. (These usually consisted of her sticking a needle into one of my more prominent veins, or so she could show me off to one of her clients.)

Like most human children, I quite enjoyed my resting time and if I got the chance I would extend it as long as possible. This is great except the longer I procrastinate getting out of the bed, the harder it is to make myself do so.

Unfortunately for me, Leön didn't give me the chance to procrastinate getting out of the bed. I was lying there, minding my own business. And now, less than a minute later, I'm lying on the ground next to my bed and very much awake.

I release a sigh as I sit up and turn to a smirking Leön. My eyes narrow dangerously. "What?" I practically growl in annoyance.

Perhaps I've been spending a bit too much time with the dogs.

"We got a new recruit and you're on guide duty." Leön says, grinning now. I grit my teeth.

"You woke me up to babysit a f*cking newbie?" I hiss angrily. I could be sleeping right now!

Leön's grin widens at my reaction. "Yes," he says happily. "Yes I did." I take a deep breath. Attacking Leön would make me happy, but I don't want to accidentally on purpose seriously hurt him.

He may be a jacka*s, but he is an important peice in this game against the royals.

"And why can't you do it?" I ask.

"I have a meeting with the Alpha to revise our alliance negotiations." He explains. "Unless you'd rather talk to him." Leön shrugs. "He is your boyfriend after all." It takes me a second longer to understand his reference. But when I do, I simply roll my eyes and ignore him.

"And why can't you ask Efrain or even Harlow?" I ask, raising an eyebrow.

"Because it's way more fun to make you do it." Leön says cheekily. I sigh; looking at my bed mournfully.

"Where's the newbie?" I ask dejectedly. Spend a night in the doghouse and you can't even get a few hours of sleep. What kind of cruel world do we live in?

"In the foyer." Leön answers before walking out of the room to do God knows what.

I huff quietly to myself before pulling myself to my feet. I stretch before trudging or if the room and to the foyer. As I enter the room, the newbie looks up and her light brown eyes widen a fraction.

"You're a Pureblood." She says softly, almost to herself. I roll my eyes.

"Oh really? I hadn't noticed." I reply sassily. She frowns, a little hurt. "I'm Red. I'll be showing you around." I say, face impassive. The girl nods.

"Shiloh." She introduces herself, holding a hand out. I glance at it and then at her.

"That's nice, but I don't really give a sh*t." I say before turning and walking down the hall. Predictably, Shiloh follows after me.

"Are you always mean?" She asks. I shrug.

"Only when someone decides to wake me up when they didn't actually have to." I say, walking into the medium sized kitchen. "This is the kitchen. There is little to no food in here. If you want human food, you'll have to get it yourself. There are utensils and cooking supplies though, so you won't need to get those. There are blood bags in the freezer at all times."

I show her the bags before walking back out of the kitchen and into the room next to it. "This is the Dining room, but we call it the Blood room." The room had red paint, a mahogany table, and a large cooler by the wall. "The cooler is filled with thawed blood bags. There is almost always someone in here." I nod to a turned who sits silently in the corner of the room.

And this is how the tour goes. A quick explanation of the rooms and how they are used and then we quickly move onto the next room. We end in the bedroom hallways. "And this is where you will sleep. Did Leön tell you where your room is?" She shakes her head.

"Alright. Let's go ask him then." I lead her back through the maze of rooms and to Leön's office.

We enter the room and I'm immediately bombarded with the scent of rain. I blink a couple times before exhaling slowly. Leön sits at his desk and the Alpha sits on a chair in front of him. Next to the Alpha sits the beta. I glance at them before focusing on Leön.

"Where is she sleeping?" I ask, nodding to the girl who stands slightly behind me. Leön glances at her.

"Hold on. I have to find where I wrote it down." He says, winking mischievously. I narrow my eyes. That isn't even something Leön would write down.

He's just trying to get the shifter and I in the same room.

I glance back at the Alpha and our gazes meet. "I didn't get to say goodbye to you last night." I shift weight from one for to the other nervously.

"Yes, I didn't want to wake you up." I explain. "I wish certain people," I glare at Leön, "would adopt the same opinion." Leön's eyes flicker to me and he grins.

"I don't know what you're talking about." He says innocently.

"Uh huh. I'm sure." I say sarcastically.

"Anyways," the Alpha says catching my attention. "I'll make to do so the next time to make up for sleeping on the job." He jokes. I don't respond right away.

Next time?

I wasn't aware there was going to be a next time.

Thankfully, Leön 'finds' where he wrote Shiloh's living arrangements before it got too awkward. "Three down from you, Red." He 'reads'. I nod before leaving with Shiloh right behind me. We start walking to the bedrooms in silence.

"Well," Shiloh says, "That was awkward."

~

So I was going to update yesterday, but then I saw how long it has been and I decided to start it today. Then I got into the zone and, well, finished.

To think; I thought I'd have to finish it tomorrow.

-BeAuthentic