Aftermath

I let out a bloodcurdling scream, unable to believe my eyes. My mother's eyes were still open. Sobbing, I reached a shaking hand forward and closed them,  whispering, "I'm sorry mom. I'm sorry I failed you."

"This is very touching and all.." a voice startled me; I'd forgotten the white haired boy was still there.

"But someone will be coming to clean up the body soon, and I'm going to have to take you back to headquarters for some questioning."

I let out a wordless snarl and rushed towards him, hands reaching for him, my only thought was to do everything in my power to make him feel the pain mother felt. Right before my hands made contact with his neck, his hands grasped my wrists and pushed me ever so slightly away from him, that same laugh escaping his lips again. At work, in the brightly lit, cheerful sandwich shop, I'd found his laugh adorable. Here, in this setting, it was creepy.

I struggled to escape from his grip, but he was too strong.

"C'mon Y/N, don't put up a fight. What's the use? One way or another I will get you down to headquarters with me." He lowered his voice to a whisper, "We've been watching you for a while."

"Goodbye mama," I whispered as he pulled me away from the scene.

"In a way, I know how you feel Y/N. I was taken away from my mama. She was a bad lady, just like your mama. She killed a lot of people."

"My mother didn't kill anyone." I mumbled, trying again to free my wrist from his grasp.

"Oh, my mistake. You're right, she made you do all her killing for her!" he replied, smiling. I felt his crimson gaze on my face, and avoided looking at him, staring instead at the ground.

I remained silent. He was right. My mother had never killed a soul in her life, but that didn't make her any less guilty. I'd been killing for her since the age of seven, and before that, who knows.

The truth was, my mother wasn't my biological mother. Obviously, since I'm not a ghoul. She was best friends with my bio mother, and when she was violently killed by a ghoul and left for dead, not even consumed for a meal, my mother took me in. I was only two.

Raising a human child must have been challenging for her, and I'm sure it made it even more difficult seeing her best friend reflected in me each and every day. It must have made the loss that much more painful. But she always did her best for me. She cooked me human food even though it disgusted her and she sent me to school each and every day. I don't know how she paid the bills before I got a job, but she managed. I shudder to think about how she got the money.

Looking down at my wrist, still within the grasp of the boy's stitched hand, an interesting mix of emotions flooded through me. I was filled with sorrow and hatred, but at the same time, my stomach was uneasy with butterflies. I couldn't believe I was feeling that at such a time, and especially with the person who had just murdered my mother moments ago. I must be in shock. If I was in my right mind these thoughts wouldn't be occurring. Yeah, that's it.

**

Somehow, as I was pulled along the streets by the boys fast pace, i ended up walking side by side with him.

"Y/N, do me a favor and let's not make this look like a hostage situation. It's attracting unwanted attention," he whispered with a smile.

But it is a hostage situation... I thought as he adjusted his hand so it was no longer gripping my wrist but instead holding my hand, not in the way two lovers would, but in the way a guardian would hold the hand of a small child.

My face immediately grew hot. Was this actually necessary... However, he was right. No one was staring at us anymore, we just looked like an ordinary "couple" now.

"Okay Y/N, we're here!" I looked up, faced with an enormous white building.

The CCG building.