That Fateful Night.

Author's note: I hope you guys enjoy this. I'm super nervous about posting it.

It was just like any other night. A night of average temperature, and average activity. The traffic outside my apartment building began to slow down as it neared 10 p.m. I was heading into the bathroom to brush my teeth when my mom called me from the living room.

"Y/N, I'm hungry."

I put down my tooth brush and sighed inwardly. I loved her dearly, but it was starting to become frustrating. She refused to work, which put all the expenses on my paychecks, which weren't the biggest; a job at a small mom and pop sandwich shop just doesn't pay that much. She also refused to get her own food, which meant a few times a week I had to put off my
sleep by a few hours to go out with her to get food.

"Okay mom. Let's go."

I pulled on a red flannel over my black tank top, knowing it wouldn't be that cold outside, maybe just a tad windy. Then I grabbed my purse and headed into the living room, where my mom was buttoning up her pea-coat and donning her mask. It was fuchsia, and covered her whole face, with pretty beading around the mouth area.

I reached into my purse and pulled out a black bandanna, which I tied around the lower half of my face, then tied up my h/c hair into a messy bun.

"I'm ready."

She took my hand and we walked silently through the streets. Very few cars passed by, and there were almost no pedestrians out, but what few there were, were making themselves easy prey.

Mom sniffed the air. Her head was tilted, and she veered to the right, following a scent. Her kakugan showed through the eye-holes in her mask.

She crossed the street, hand still tightly gripping mine.

"Someone smells delicious," she muttered. I grimaced behind your bandanna. I saw the person she was smelling, up ahead of us. Their white hair and small stature, the posture they assumed. It was so familiar.

It can't be...

"That's who I want, Y/N."

Just then they turned around to quickly glance behind themselves, and their huge crimson eyes flash under the streetlight, and I knew. I knew I couldn't kill this boy.

How could I kill someone I served sandwiches and hot cocoa to everyday at work? Someone whose gaze made my cheeks flush and palms sweat?

"Mom... Let's- Let's find someone else."

"You're going to defy my wishes, Y?N?"

I swallowed hard. "Yes mother. I can't kill him. I k-know him." This was...somewhat true. I didn't know his name, or much..well, anything really..about him, but he had lunch at the restaurant I worked at everyday. Sometimes if he saw me looking a little glum (I was usually just bored) he would tell me a few silly jokes. When he was there, the sandwich shop seemed brighter, happier.

"Fine. We'll find someone else."

The two of us ducked into an alley to get off the tracks of the boy, where we happened across an older woman, passed out drunk.

"Let's get her mom. She won't even feel it."

Mother sighed. "I guess she'll do. She doesn't smell anywhere near as delicious as your little friend, though." She chuckled. I winced and shook my head, pulling my knife out of my purse.

Crouching down by the woman, I pushed her tangled hair out of her dirty face, whispering "I'm sorry," before stabbing my knife directly into her femoral artery.

I quickly stepped out of the way of the blood squirting out of and pooling under the woman, crouching down and hugging my knees, trying to block out the sound of Mother eating off the woman.

A voice brought me out of my trance. A musical voice that sing-songed the words, "Well, well, well... What do we have here?"

Looking up, I saw the boy, standing in the dark entrance of the alley, the streetlights outlining his shadow.

Your mother looked up as well, blood staining the beading on her mask. "Y/N, he's seen too much."

I knew what she was implying, but I was frozen. None of this seemed real. No one had ever seen us before.

The boy laughed cheerily, completely out of place in this dingy, blood-filled alleyway.

"I'm Suzuya Juuzou" the boy announced, pointing to himself. "CCG investigator. Which means I kill ghouls. Which means I'm going to kill you."

He pulled out 2 knives from inside his white shirt, and ran towards Mother. I instinctively threw myself in front of her, arms raised defensively in front of my face. His knife slashed my arm, and I cried out. Then bandanna slipped down my face and he paused, though he didn't look too surprised.

"Oh, Y/N, I thought I recognized your e/c eyes. Now get out of the way! I don't want to have to hurt you~" All my strength wasn't enough, and I fell to the ground, elbows scraping the pavement, as he pushed me out of the way.

Mother was open to his attack, she was vulnerable. She didn't know how to fight, she couldn't even kill her own meals. I had never even seen her kagune.

"Please, no..." I whimpered, right before her head fell to the ground.