Chapter 65

Annabeth was cold. Then again, it's the coldest night this year in New York. Snow. Wind. Thin sweaters. Thick blankets. She bought a train ticket, and sat on the seats, hoping to get at least one night of peaceful sleep. The blanket she had wrapped around herself was doing no good. Despite the fact it was warmer inside the train, she was still cold.

Annabeth sighed, aching for a book to read. She was tempted to look around the seats of the train, maybe someone forgot a newspaper. But then the train stopped and someone in a blue hoodie and black sweater came in.

She widened her eyes. Somehow, she recognized who that was perfectly. Coming from an abusive home, having ADHD and dyslexia (like her), and having horrible grades, it was none other then Percy Jackson.

Please don't remember me.

His eyes landed on hers, but he didn't show any signs of recognition. She was a little scared at how he still chose to sit next to her, out of the mostly empty train. He slumped against the seat, and she could feel his arm against hers. Blanket and sweaters in between.

"It's a cold night." Percy said. Well duh, Sherlock, but Annabeth didn't say anything aloud. "So, where are you going?" He asked, and Annabeth bit her lip, shrugging. "Ah, me too. Not sure where I'm going either. Just away, am I right."

Annabeth suddenly had a memory of high school. It jarred her. Made her sad at how good her life use to be. Perfect grades. Perfect family. Perfect friends. Perfect boyfriend. Perfect life. But then again, high school was three years ago. Now she's an adult with no where to go. Life can be a bitch sometimes, bad word intended. She felt angry at herself at how her life ended up compared to his. He was obviously well fed and had money.

Annabeth was surprised at how long he stayed. One hour. Two. She noticed it got colder too and at some point she shivered noticeably. Percy glanced at her with a risen eyebrow. He took off his black sweater, then his hoodie, placing them on top of her.

"Hey, it's the coldest night in years. It'll get better Annabeth, trust me, it will. Call me sometime will you? We should meet up for breakfast, or lunch, or dinner, or maybe all three? Up to you." He grinned, the bus coming to a stop. He stepped into the the snow wearing a thin long sleeve.

Annabeth blinked, she didn't even get his number. And he did remember her. And damn, he made her smile, that idiot. Annabeth quickly put the hoodie on. It smelled like sea salt and blueberry jolly ranchers. The black sweater, she placed on her legs, and when her hands slipped inside the warm pockets, her fingers curled around a piece of paper. With Percy Jackson's number on it no doubt.

It was a few weeks before Annabeth finally got the courage to call him. At five thirty in the morning.

"Hello?" Percy's voice was really deep and Annabeth felt guilty that she probably woke him up. "Hello? Anybody there?"

"Percy," Annabeth greeted.

"Annabeth! I've been waiting forever, what took you so long?" He exasperated, a smile in his voice. Annabeth smiled lightly, her dainty fingers touching the call box.

"Sorry, had trouble finding a phone to use. Well, one that worked anyway." Hey, that was half the truth. She wasn't going to admit she was scared.

Percy sounded more awake now. "So what's up? You up for breakfast?"

Annabeth nodded but then realized he couldn't see her. "Yes, uh, yes please. Sorry, I called so early."

"No problem. Want me to pick you up or..?"

She shook her head. "I'll be there, just give your address."

With shaking fingers, she wrote down the address on a napkin. Annabeth had three hours. They decided to meet at eight thirty at his apartment. Apparently he's a 'freaking amazing bad-ass cook'. His words.