Chapter Seventeen: Brendan's Revelation Part I

May's POV

I slowly opened my eyes at the creepy sound of tree branches scratching the windows. When I sat up, I noticed that I was already in my school winter uniform. Beside the window is this big wall mirror and when I looked at myself, I was surprised to see a white piece of bandage over my forehead.

My eyebrows scrunched and I felt it myself, there was indeed a bandage. I turned my head and tried to look around.

"The infirmary?"

"Monday, first day of the week and I'm already in such a bizarre situation. Freaking new achievement right here. How in the hell did I end up here in the first place?"

By the moment I felt a sting coming from my forehead, I suddenly remembered how I horribly ended up being in one of these infirmary beds in our school.

"Oh, yeah.." I slowly frowned as realization started to hit me.

Solidad...

...

"Mrs. Hay-"Solidad paused and cleared her throat after checking our attendance.

Oh boy.

There she goes again with her matchmaking disease.

"Ms. Maple, is there any possibility that you would know why Mr. Hayden is absent for today?" She smiled those devilish smiles of hers I've despised.

She's teasing me in front of the whole class again!

She's definitely enjoying how much she just put my life in immediate utmost danger with just those words she just said.

"Ehh.." I slowly stood up not knowing how to answer her question.

I felt a bead of sweat trickle down my cheek as the glares of death and murder of everyone burst me down like a minigun. I honestly knew why he's absent today. But knowing of the catastrophe of what might actually happen if I would have carelessly said that I knew, such as getting beheaded publicly in the school's platform, a scold's bridle being a part of my uniform from now on, or losing privilege on the canteen's free hazelnut brownies every Friday, I would be better off lying as it seemed that it would remove the raised death flag on myself.

Mechanical pencils, steel rulers, super stick glue, and a lot more ordinary school supplies were slowly starting to surface on their tables from each of their bags. And I never thought that such mere ordinary school tools could send a cold chill down my spine.

All I needed to do was just answer Ms. Solidad a simple, confident and conforming 'no'. And it'll all be over like nothing even happened.

I tried to reassure myself.

"No?" I squeaked like a mouse.

I palmed my face mentally really hard.

I just had to sound pathetically unsure, great, so freaking great! Best confident 'no' answer in the history of 'no' answer ever!

Where's the undo button? Please!

"You don't sound too confirming?" Solidad paced left and right in front of the class. She was so good at faking how she worried about Drew when all she really did was toy with the super thin thread my life's holding on right at this damn moment.

"Are you really sure? Because you are his childhood friend and I just thought that you'd be the one to know first if there is something bad happening to him and you are his special friend also and-"