Chapter Ten

Nocturna. I blink a few times, managing to pull myself from my surprised stage. At first I wonder why on earth Linzey doesn't recognize her, with Nocturna being the only Evil Elemental left, but, taking a closer look at her, I see that Nocturna's changed in looks. Nocturna is small, I notice for the first time. About as tall as a first year student, although she's older.

     I look her up and down. Her stringy black hair is now sleek and shiny, and pulled into two pigtails. Her cat-like eyes are now a glinting brown, with normal pupils. Colored contacts! I realize. Even farther from her normal looks, I notice she'd even put lip gloss on, and is wearing the school uniform, complete with a skirt. A single white highlight slides over her bangs.

     "Cyra is new here," Linzey says, oblivious to the fact that a possibly-psycho Evil Elemental is standing in front of her. "And she's starting as a first year." Linzey leads Nocturna/Cyra to the counter, where she places a slip of paper and pen in front of her. "And I'm putting you in charge of showing her around, and helping her out in her studies."

     "But-" I demand, but Linzey glares at me.

     "Nicolette Finch, where are your manors?" She snaps, sounding exactly like my sister, Erika.

     I flinch back. "Uhm. Sorry... Yeah... I'll... show Noc- er... Cyra around." I reply quietly, Noctuna's real name almost slipping out. I watch Nocturna fill out her paper quietly.

       In the name selection, she scribbles down: Cyra Moon Anrutcon. Then it clicks in my mind. The fake last name, Anrutcon is Noctruna spelled backward. How did I not realize that earlier? Stupid, stupid, stupid... For age, she writes: Thirteen. 

     So Nocturna's going to pose as a first year? Well, judging by how tall she is, I'll admit she'd be able to pull that one off. She pauses at the question: What is your element? and I smirk to myself a bit. She doesn't have the ability to control the main elements. Only the Evil Elements, blood, storms, lightning and shadows. After a moment, Nocturna looks at me, then writes something on the line. I look over her shoulder. Fire? She can't control fire... 

     Well... neither can I, but that's not the point. After filling out a few questions, Nocturna hands the paper back to Linzey. "Great!" The Headmistress smiles. "Another Fire Elemental. There seems to be a lot of them this year." With that, she hands a small orange-ish red fire pin to Nocturna. "You'll just have to wear this with your uniform."

     "Yes ma'am." Nocturna had even gone as far as making her voice sound like a first year's. Younger. I swallow as Linzey - who's still totally unaware of everything, smiles.

     "You should go to your dorm, girls." She looks at Nocturna. "And Cyra, your bed has a little tag with your name." Nocturna nods receiving her locker combination as well, and begins to walk out.

     "Are you coming?" She looks back at me with a half-smirk. "You're supposed to be my guide, right?" Snapping out of my daze, I charge after her.

     "What are you playing at?" I demand, catching up to her in the hallway.

     Nocturna looks very confused at my words. "What do you mean?"

     "Why are you here?" I almost yell, flailing my arms like a madwoman, and earning a few stares. 

     Nocturna takes a step back, hugging a book to her chest. "Uh... I'm a student here. Like you. Seriously, are you feeling okay?"

     I feel like screaming in frustration. "Drop the act already! Why are you in the building? Somebody's bound to recognize you!"

     She closes in on me and whispers so only I can hear her clearly. "Don't you think that somebody would find it strange if they find a girl sleeping in the hay loft?" So that's where she'd been hiding. The horse barn.... But I'll have to admit she has a good point.