☆ 28

☆ twenty-eight

Chloe's hands shook as she helped Meredith carve a circle in the sand. White candles were arranged around the outside in compass points, and the black one was in the middle of the circle surrounded by white quartz and a ceremonial dagger. They finished the circle on opposite ends and stood facing each other. It was like Chloe just knew what to do somehow, like her body already knew the proper way to cast a circle. That, or she was remembering what she'd read in Racquelle's journal and it was coming back to aid her. Her green eyes locked with Meredith's blue ones, and in sync they stepped into the gaps in the circle and closed it behind them. Then they joined hands over the black candle. Chloe winced as Meredith struggled to grip her hands that were slick with sweat, the redhead rolling her eyes at Chloe's fear.
"We call the elements now," she told her, and Chloe nodded. Her throat felt blocked, but she forced her voice to come out strong. Meredith pointed the dagger North.
"To keep us grounded and centered, we call Earth to our circle," Chloe said. The dagger turned East.
"To keep us breathing and thoughtful, we call Air to our circle," South.
"To keep us warm and strong-willed, we call Fire to our circle," And finally, West.
"To keep us cleansed and pure, we call Water to our circle!" The physical power almost knocked Chloe backward and she would've fallen if Meredith hadn't held strong to her hands. She could feel the grass under her feet, the heat from the fire along with the smooth breeze that carried the scent of the sea to her nose, and it was almost like she could taste the saltwater on her tongue. Chloe was amazed by the sheer simplicity of calling a circle and how strong it ended up being with only two members. She finally understood the appeal of having twelve.

The two girls had nothing left to say to each other now. It was finally time to call Racquelle, and the excitement in Meredith's eyes almost overpowered any fear that Chloe had. Almost. Meredith crouched in the sand around the black candle and drew three sigils. Chloe furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. Weren't sigils just to summon demons? The redheaded girl rose and brushed the sand off her dress before rejoining hands with Chloe. They'd discussed beforehand that Meredith would do the spell and Chloe would just give the other girl her power, and Chloe had originally been fine with that. She didn't want to participate in this at all; Meredith's blackmail was the only thing keeping her here. That, and now that she'd agreed, she couldn't back out. Meredith could tell the entire coven that Chloe helped her with this little scheme, and then Chloe would be kicked out. Or worse.
"Focus, Chloe. I'm going to pull her through now." Meredith whispered. The wind inside their little circle carried their voices back and forth so they didn't need to be loud; it was a relief to Chloe. She may have neglected to tell Meredith that Nick was down on the beach, not far from where they were, but she was hoping he listened to her telepathic message and didn't bother coming down.
"Racquelle Souza," Meredith breathed, "we summon you to our circle." Chloe focused back on her hands joined with Meredith's and pushed hard, imagining a girl appearing between their arms.
Please, please, come so that Meredith will just be satisfied, Chloe thought. She could feel the energy seeping from her to fuel the spell and it was tiring. Black smoke curled from the candle and through the loop their arms made, and Chloe inhaled it. Focus. Focus. Racquelle Souza. Picture her. Feel her.

She's here.

Chloe opened her eyes and blinked. She was see-through, but still visible, and Chloe admired Racquelle's beauty. Long, dark hair fell past her shoulders in waves, and she was wearing a white shift that matched Chloe's own. A golden diadem sat on top of her head.
"It worked. Oh my Goddess, it worked," Meredith's knees were visibly shaking like Jell-O as she stared in front of her. Racquelle's image shimmered as she turned her head to look at Chloe. Their eyes met and Chloe nodded once. Racquelle turned toward Meredith.
"Mer, baby," she cooed, "you really shouldn't have. It's been so long. . ."
"I couldn't do it," the other girl responded. Chloe watched in shock as tears fell from Meredith's large, blue eyes. She let out a hiccup and rubbed at her face, but it was like a dam had let loose. "I couldn't live without you, Elle." Racquelle, whose spirit was a few feet above them, knelt down to be eye level with Meredith.
"I made a mistake, Meredith. It's nobody's fault but my own. I died for my wrongdoings, but you can't live your life waiting for me." She reached a light brown hand toward the girl and Chloe felt like she should've averted her eyes. The scene felt too personal to be watching.
"Please, please, please," Meredith cried. She pushed her cheek into Racquelle's hand and the pain on her face was almost unbearable to watch when her head passed right through.
"Meredith Lane Ellsworth," Racquelle scolded, "I never took you for a crier." The silky voice shook with sadness.
"I loved you," Meredith sobbed, "I still love you. Just tell me what to do to have you back. I'll do anything." Racquelle was silent and Chloe stared at her back. Suddenly she whipped around to face Chloe.
"He's coming!" Her image stuttered and faltered.
"No!" Meredith said at the same time Chloe said, "Who's coming?"
"I can't -- he'll hear me, I can't stay, Meredith. You can bring me back. You can, but you'll have to strike a deal with Raoul," Racquelle clutched at her chest and her image began to fade.
"No, no, no!" Meredith stared ahead, unable to drop Chloe's hands to reach for her lover.
"Strike a deal, Meredith. If you love me, bring me back!" And then Racquelle was gone.
"Elle!" Meredith dropped Chloe's hands and fell to her knees in the sand, scrambling for something. Fear ignited in Chloe's chest. Meredith was unstable. All the candles went out, shrouding them in darkness, and Chloe quickly felt around in the darkness for the other girl.
"Meredith? We need to go home, please." She pleaded. Her voice shook and she swallowed nervously. Across from her in the dark, a giggle erupted from Meredith.
"I can bring her back," she said.
"You can't. You know you can't." Chloe felt something like an arm and grabbed onto it. Meredith snarled and something slashed at Chloe's hand, pain erupting up her arm. Chloe fell onto her back and grabbed at the burning sensation in her hand and wrist. Why was it burning?
"What are you doing, Meredith?" She screeched.

Nick, Nick, I need--

"Stop contacting him!" Meredith yelled. She hurled something in the dark and Chloe's head fell back with a slap. A rock. She threw a rock at me. Chloe struggled to sit up. She felt her head and her hand came away slick with blood. She blinked to clear the dizziness, trying to see the other girl. She'd lost it. Meredith was insane. A few moments later the candles lit up again, illuminating their small circle. Meredith was standing with her arms spread apart, eyes closed, whispering words to the dark. Chloe blinked again. Symbols. Three symbols carved into the sand in front of her. Where had she seen those. . .
"Meredith," she croaked. She got no response. She closed her eyes as tiredness overtook her body. The symbols from Racquelle's book, that was where she'd seen them! Chloe couldn't open her eyes now; her head was pounding in her ears. Her mind blanked as she fell limp in the sand.

Chloe? Chloe, what's wrong? Where are you. . .