☆ 16

☆ sixteen
(pic of Nicklaus)

He was kissing her. Nicklaus Mayfaire, resident bad boy, was kissing her. Chloe wasn't sure what she was feeling as her lips moved against his, but she definitely knew she was playing with fire. It thrilled her; the way his hand knotted in the back of her hair, trying to pull her closer. His lips were soft, and even the cigarette taste that mingled their breath didn't seem to bother her. And this was Chloe Montgomery -- the girl who'd forced her father to quit smoking just so she'd be able to hug him. And now look at you, she thought, you're lip-locking with someone who probably smokes two packs a day! It didn't even faze her. With her eyes shut, she was in complete bliss. The cold air was warm, and her bare legs weren't shivering from the ocean water they'd been in twenty minutes ago. It was like all the warmth she'd ever need could be found in Nick's kisses. She opened her eyes slowly, only to be gazing into a pair of lazy, gold eyes. Chloe blinked. Green. Nick's green eyes crinkled at the corners as he gave her a small smile. Who's eyes were yellowy-hazel like that? Chloe tried to smile back at Nick as her brain scoured her memories. She made sure to shield her thoughts; she didn't need Nick wondering why she was thinking of Alec while kissing him. Wait. . . Alec? Chloe almost snorted. Yeah, right. Sure, he was cute, and maybe she'd been a little dazed by his good looks, but he wasn't someone she'd fantasize about kissing. Not in a million years! Nick took her large grin as a signal to kiss her once more. When he pulled back, he looked almost breathless. "I'd better get going. We still have school tomorrow." He whispered. Their noses touched gently and Chloe felt her heart calming in her chest. She was dreading school tomorrow, but at least she'd get to see Nick.

Chloe's blaring alarm came much too early the next morning. Grumbling her way out of bed, she padded across the hardwood floor into the adjoined bathroom for a quick shower. She was in no mood to make an effort to dress nicely, the main reason being she'd given herself the luxury of sleeping in an extra hour. Chloe sighed wearily as she tugged on a black pair of three-quarter length leggings and a light grey long sleeve with three buttons at the neck. She looked at herself in the mirror. For the first time, Chloe thought she looked a little witchy. Despite the unflattering outfit, her wild mass of dark curls and her creamy, pale face looked somewhat eerily wonderful. She'd always thought that she was blessed with great skin; all her friends seemed to think so as well. But now she knew it was just how witches were. All twelve members of the coven, of Black Wisteria, were more gorgeous than any human she'd ever met in her life. Chloe gave her reflection a grin and headed down the steps.

"Did you hear about the new guy?" Eden whispered as Chloe took her spot beside Charlie during history. Chloe shook her head; she'd almost been late to class on account of her truck not wanting to start, and she'd practically ran from the parking lot to the third-floor classroom. Eden practically became the heart-eyes emoji as she began to gush. "He's in our grade, he's a red-head, his eyes are practically emeralds, his body is beyond gorgeous, and guess what?" She paused to take a breath and didn't even give Chloe or Charlie a chance to say 'what'. "I think he's a witch." Charlie leaned his elbows on the table and leaned toward the girls. Chloe was shocked. Could you just tell when you meet a witch? "How do you know?" Charlie questioned. Eden rolled her eyes. "I said I think, Charlie. Do you need a hearing aid?" They began to bicker as Chloe sat back in her seat and looked straight ahead at the chalkboard. Her mind was trying to formulate a picture of what the new guy would actually look like when she saw him, but the way Eden had described him made him seem like a god. "Oh, oh!" Eden swiveled in her seat to face Chloe. "I forgot to tell you! I may have peeked on the class roster. . ." she paused for dramatic effect, and Chloe rolled her eyes. "He's in this class!" Chloe had never seen Eden so excited over a boy. She turned her attention to the doorway and waited to see what she was so excited about. A few minutes passed and then the door slid open and Chloe's mouth formed a small 'o'. He strode into the classroom without a glance at any of the students and went straight to Mr. Taner's desk, sliding a pink late-slip across the worn mahogany. His hair is almost as red as Meredith's, and his green eyes sparkled mischievously. Mr. Taner nodded at him. "Everyone, this is Blake Foster. Give him a warm welcome." The kids responded enthusiastically, calling hellos and how are yous to him. Chloe just crossed her arms and leaned back. Blake turned his eyes from one student to the next. He stopped when he got to the three side-by-side witches. Charlie nodded in acknowledgement and Eden practically beamed. Chloe kept her gaze steely-eyed as his jewel-colored eyes came to a stop on her. His hair was bright, but no freckles were on his creamy skin. His lips were full and pink, and his lashes were pitch black. His hair is probably dyed, Chloe thought to herself, and smirked. "Mind if I sit here?" He pointed to the vacant desk on Chloe's right and set his books there anyway, not bothering to wait for an answer. His tight, dark green t-shirt stretched over his arms as he slid into the desk, brushing his arm against her. Something coiled up inside Chloe's stomach, fear, maybe. Or suspicion. She hastily pulled her arm away and moved closer to Eden as Mr. Taner started the lecture, but by the end of the hour, he was much, much closer than she'd have like him to be. The bell echoed and Eden said good-bye, while Blake smirked as he lifted up the stack of books that he'd been hauling around. He placed a light hand on her arm, skin as cold ice, and smiled directly at her. "See you soon, Chloe." He whispered.